What tires to get ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What tires to get ??

I have a 97 XLT V8 with Goodyear Wrangler RT/s

Time to get new tires but i'm not sure what they should cost?? or what to get.
My gas mileage in not very good and the ride is a bit noisy, but the tires have been good on/off road and highway. What should tires like this cost, where do I get them and are there similar substitutes or something better?

Thanks so much for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the wranglers suck!!!! have to be the worst tire ever!

what size are you looking for? what type of driving do you do?

oh god. my dad has the crapyears on his 97 V8 AWD. they suck!!!!!! they are down right scary in the snow and ice. we have studded snow tires for it and i have driven it a few times on those good years and all i can so is WOW(in a bad way)

i have cooper discoverers A/Ts on my truck. they are very quite. they are great in rain/snow/mud. they wear well. they are just all around a good tire(on-road and off). and the cost is pretty good also. i got 4 brand new ones mounted/balanced for $400 out the door. im very happy with them.

Looking for the size...
Really looking for something safe too! I drive fast on the highway with heavy loads sometimes and have heard lot of bad news about American tires on Explorers. What do you think of Japanese tires?

Don't get firestone or bridgestone -- get Michelins LTX M/S. They are so nice. Quiet, smooth, and wear great and LONG. I still have my Michelins under my house waiting to be mounted on my dads jeep.

-Drew

71_12_sb.jpg

For a stock truck id get 30X9.5X15 or 16 whichever you have now.

Thanks much for all the advice, but I am a bit confused. I was at the tire place and the Goodyear’s I have are like $112 buck and additionally the tire guy filled me with all types of other info...

He said that a lower profile and wider tire would be safer and that it may be less noisy?? Also, I was asking about Vinyl wrapped tires, think that is what they are called, and he did not know anything about them??
What should tires cost?? I have p235/75r151505..

Or 235/75/R15s!!! (similar size)

Anyone know anyplace in NJ, near Jersey City, that I can get suspension work done? I would like to make it more stable. Any advice on kits would be great!

Well you can get some cheapos for like $95-100, but I think you'll be happy with the Michelins. They are about 135 I think. I could be wrong though. I would stick with 235/75/15s. The wider wheel can add some stability, but the lower profile will not do anything. Granted, it CAN, but it'll actually make the ride rougher (not much air to ride on), and easier to bend a wheel. Noise wise has to do all with tread design. The Michelins are so nice. Now Goodyear is known for noise and rough rides.

-Drew

Cool, but how are they in snow, rain and mud? I tend to be on wet roads and in mud. My old goodyears seemed great in mud?

Also, so many articles talk about tires tearing up on Explorers.. any knowledge there? Don't what my tires flying off and being added to the statistics!

i have the michelins on right now, good tire.. im happy with them

until i get my 32"s.

As far as rain, mud, and snow; i got my ex in mid-april, so all the bad weather had pretty much passed. But they do wonderfully on asphalt and dirt roads, hahah..

Badspell68 said:
Also, so many articles talk about tires tearing up on Explorers.. any knowledge there? Don't what my tires flying off and being added to the statistics!

Were you in a foreign country four years ago? The Ford/Firestone fiasco was huge news for months. Firestone manufactured a ton of defective Wilderness tires, most of which were installed on Explorers. A bunch of people got into serious or deadly wrecks. Ford blamed Firestone. Firestone blamed Ford. It was both their faults, Firestone more because their tires were defective, but Ford also because of the too-low recommended tire pressure. All the tires were recalled and replaced free of charge. Most people got Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires instead and most Explorers you see still have them on, mine included. That's probably where your "no American tires" thing came from. Personally, I'd get Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, price no object. But I've heard good things about the Coopers too, and they're much cheaper.

I have heard a bit about it. That begs the question, is the 26psi listed as the recommended pressure correct?

we use 36PSI on the stock sized tires. still a good ride and ware even. i also run close to that with my 31s(38PSI)

i really reccomend the coopers.

Badspell68 said:
I have heard a bit about it. That begs the question, is the 26psi listed as the recommended pressure correct?

Absolutely not. 32 is a decent pressure, though I think most people are a little higher. I run 36 in mine, which is a decent compromise between gas mileage and ride comfort. Minimum 32 though....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Liberator A/T's. Rebranded Michelin that they sell at Wal-Mart. Cheap as hell, look great, ride great, and perform excellent off road.

Back