What type of on board air are you running? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What type of on board air are you running?

Pressure?

CDW6212R said:
How much air pressure are you storing in those tanks? I'll only have 3.5 gallons of volume. With more than 100psi, I expect to fill a tire in far less time than the portable air compressors 5-10 minutes.
Don

3000 PSI in my rare 90 cu ft SCUBA tank, around 2450 for 72's.

Cost 5 bucks to refill at the SCUBA shop in Carson City.

NO.... I don't know why there's a SCUBA shop in Carson City!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Carlos Murphy said:
Al,
I just bought a 80 cu/ft scuba tank to mount in the bed of my Ranger, how did you do the lines and did you use a regulator?
Carlos

You definately need a regulator to take the 3000 psig tank pressure to about 150 psig. Do nohave any lines from the tank, just a tire inflator on a low pressure hose.

Works great.

I use a 12v viair compressor thats 1.7 cfm at 90 psi and a 5 gallon tank for storage. The tank is a firestone 2 port that I got brand new on ebay or 50$ shipped and the compressor was used for 85$. This setup will run at least 160 psi which in a 5 gallon tank it fills my 35s nicely and runs my impact without a problem.

Everything is mounted in the cargo area. I use a 100' coiled hose from the tank to the quick diso and I also have the tank easily removable for portable fillups. I have about 200$ into the whole setup and what I use it for it works great. I'll get some pics sometime today.

If I were to do it again I would get a compressor that is constant duty and will do over 3 cfm at 90 psi. The only problem is a compressor with those specs be prepared to spend 300$ on it.

boominXplorer said:
... a compressor with those specs be prepared to spend 300$ on it.
Boomin, that's my Puma compressor, over 3cfm @90psi, for about $185 on Ebay. Regards,

Attachments

• Projectthread051.JPG
    Projectthread051.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 341
  • Projectthread052.JPG
    Projectthread052.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 336

It looks like the dog's sniffing the fumes :D

Her name's Dido, and she lives for the damn throw toy, all day long.

Don, have you actually used it yet? Im curious how it holds up. Viairs are good but alot of $$$. What is the duty cycle?

Scuba Tank Mounted In Bed (truck)

Turns out the tank I bought at a pawn shop for $100.00 including the octopus and pressure gauge is a rare 90 cu ft tank which holds 3000 PSI.
It's being "Hydro'd" now and the dive shop was able to special order me a 15 foot hose with quick disconnect for the air-chuck so I don't have to remove the tank and carry it around to each tire.
This sovles the problem of having to use a regulator between the tank and a standard yellow coiled shop air hose which can't take 3000 PSI, my on/board air system has be "solvid".

At 3000PSI I wonder if these things can be stored for long periods of time under preasure? I used to dive when I was in the Navy(Not Navy diver) and we would go down for about 40 minutes and come up with hardly any air left depending on your breathing. Just curious how long it would last if you filled tires with it or maybe ran airtools. I would like to see airtools run at 3000 PSI. That would be cool, until it blew up. :confused:

I was also thinking it would be cool to make a mounting system that used the spare tire winch since my 33" spare wont fit there. There is all kinds of room to put stuff there. You would just need some type of strap/frame to actualy do all the holding and the winch just to get it up there. Maybe protect it with some thin plate metal or something.

Josh said:
At 3000PSI I wonder if these things can be stored for long periods of time under preasure?

For years for tire filling purpose; shorter time for breathing air.

I would like to see airtools run at 3000 PSI. That would be cool, until it blew up. :confused:

The regulator takes the 300 psig down to 150psi for use.

Powder Coating Scuba Tanks......no!

Just checked with the dive shop about powder coating and was told the tank makers say "do not do it" because the 400 + degrees changes the molecular structure of the steel.
I'll just have to paint it.

Don't paint it; many dive shops will not fill any painted tank ( they do not know how it was done ); strictly a safety issue.

I've got an 60lb dive tank holding air at 3k psi with a regulator and just a standard air inflation nozzle. It works very well and I ratchet strap it to the cage in the cargo area. I like it because it is free, from my dad who is a diver.

I haven't got my air lines plumbed yet. Mounting the two air tanks will be near last on my list. I'm doing most of the wiring now.

The Puma is a 100% duty cycle pump. I called and they told me that mounting it sideways was okay. I do hope they are correct, it mounted very nicely there.

If its self lubricating then you can mount it anyway. Its the ones with oil fills that can only be upright.

Thanks, that rings a bell about that conversation, 1.5 years ago.

I used to have a QA2 but sold it Positive Vibes (you have 2 compressors now?) then I ponied up and bought a 10lb. Powertank set up with the latest regulator that can also be used on nitrogen tanks. I couldn't be happier with the set up and it's nice to be able to fill up my shocks with out having to drive somewhere else to have it done.
My one and only gripe is when it's time to fill my tank, there's only one place in my area that will fill it. I have to drop it off and leave it then make another trip to pick it up...that's a half hour trip each way. To top things off they jacked up their rates from $14 to $18 a fill :rolleyes:
There's a couple welding shops in the area that supply CO2 but they only do exchanges on tanks which got me thinking, if it's cost effective to rent a larger tank and use that to fill my Powertank i'd rather do that then make 2 trips to fill my 10 pounder. Ok, i'm done whining :D

I used to use one of the MV-50 compressors (I stil have it). I have now replaced it with one from Harbor Freight ($60 normal price, on sale I got it for $42)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93186

It looks very similar to the ARB one.
93186.gif

It does over 1 CFM (1.35cfm @ 40) which is enough to seat the bead on a 235x75xr15 (normally I use starter fluid to do that)

I can take my 33x12.50x15 tires from 13psi to 35 in < 2 minutes and it came in a decent blow mold case.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what I'm going to install on the Zuk:

Puma 12v Compressor on Ebay

Nice, compact, and powerful. Same compressor as the ViaAir 450's, ExtremeAir, and pretty good price. Lots of air, almost enough to run air tools.

Back