What type of on board air are you running? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What type of on board air are you running?

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I bought a Quickair2 off of ebay but it seems to be taking a dump on me. Works good for the ARB in front but really slow on inflating tires. I've thought of converting my AC compressor into an air compressor and also thought of swapping in a york. So what is everybody using and how do the like it. Could you list pros and cons?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to Schucks and get the MV-40 for 44.99 or 49.99 depends if it is on sale,
for $50 this things pumps, it clips onto your battery post. you will be impressed with it.
I also have a ARB but it will only be for the lockers.

I first discovered the QuickAir compressors, but the most impressive units are over $400.
I then found a Puma 12V pump which has great specs. I bought it through Ebay for about $186. It makes 3.4cfm @90psi, which is a bunch for a small 12V compressor.

I want to mouint it under my 93/99 body, so I have taken it apart. I will mount it in three pieces, and run air lines between everything, and place my outlet in the right quarter window. Good luck,
Don

We carry an 80 cu ft Scuba cylinder in the Jeep when we are off road. You can fill a ton of tires and do it instantly.

Works well for us.

i use about the same thing i have a 40lb co2 tank. fill up a tire less the 5 seconds its sweet.

How much air pressure are you storing in those tanks? I'll only have 3.5 gallons of volume. With more than 100psi, I expect to fill a tire in far less time than the portable air compressors 5-10 minutes.
Don

in mine its liquid co2 , to tell u the truth i could not tell you i dont have a gauge on mine. i would think that it would be at least 500lbs i think.

Yes, I figured that you meant CO2 at a high pressure. I saw a lot of that stuff when I was hunting for a 12V compressor.
Don

holy cow sajnaj!! a 40lb tank, my 20 lb is a beast...

Heres a chartq for how many lbs of co equals how many gallons of air...

i like my Co2 but havent gotten to use it offroading yet, only aroudn the garage when im to lazy to use our big compressor...

attachment.php

So a 20lb tank is botu equal to 1280 gallons of air..

my dads runs a busines and he uses them alot so there is always one laying around. but i do not have a regulator on mine like that one in the picture, i have one its off a old coke machine the only bad thing is that it only gives me 50 psi. i have a brass adapter that a hose just ataches to and i get the full presure. we even have bigger but there to balky to fit in the truck.

Mines an old Pepsi One(shhh)

It had an adjustable regulator that i have set to bout 125 PSI

I use to get unlimited Co2 cause of my Uncles company, than he decided to sell the company, so now i lost my access to unlimited Co2, now i gotta fidn some where else, and pay them, oh well...

but the best is turing the bodel upside down and geting straight liquid. have you ever scene a frog shatter????

It appears most people are using tanks.

aldive, how do you tie down your cylinder?

I know you asked Al, but i tohught i would show you my setup....

11574IM000074_Small_.jpg

Its just a Bracket made for 20lb Co2 tanks, i dotn have it bolted in my jeep yet, but when i finally do, ill get better pics, i know that one kidna sucks...

I use my ARB compressor for the ARB's and for the tires...Well, I don't ever air them up ;) I guess I use the gas station or my shop compressor for inflating tires when I have too.

I've been planning a little on-board air setup on my X. I was thinking of getting a couple of 5 gal tanks or a 10gal tank (depending on dimension) like the pic below and mount them in my spare tire area. These tanks would be connected together with some piping/hose and feed by a dual system. The main system would be a permanently mounted compressor (ex QuickAir) with check valve and pressure switch to automatically turn it on (obviously with dash shut off). But I could also pre charge the tanks at a gas station etc. prior to hitting the trail (less wear on the compressor). It should be able to handle airing up my 33s as well as bursts of air tools. I know Co2 is a fine system, but I just hate worrying about the tank getting low... Yeah I know a Co2 tank can last a long time, but the idea of being able to generate my own air is very appealing. So what do you guys think of air plans?

18205Air_tank_5_gal.jpg

Good thoughts for a four wheeler. Where does your spare end up then? My work vehicle has just enough room for three small tanks. I have the 1.5 gallon tank which came with the 3.4cfm@90psi compressor, and I have bought a two gallon tank to mount along the framerail also. I only need air generally to fill a low tire, from a nail or screw.

For what ever compressor that you use, add new power and ground lines all of the way to the battery. My compressor takes 30 amps, so the 10ga. wire I plan to use will be plenty. Regards,

Tracy uses a york on her cj. It works great to fill up tires. Her rear bumper is sealed up and that is her air tank. After the rubicon when we lrft it took us about 5 minutes to fill up her 33"s. That includes getting the hose out and then repacking it back in the jeep. I am planning on using a stock compressor on my truck for on board air.

Just got back from a trail ride today with the local Jeep club and 3 out of 4 of us had CO2 to air our tires back up with. The 4th didnt have anything. I have 2 CO2 setups. 1st is a 5 lb tank which works great for my 31's and it stores nicely. I also have a 20 lb setup but it is big and takes up alot of room so I dont normally take it. I usually have to fill my 5lb tank once a year. I made both setups myself. Found a 5lb aluminum tank for $5 at an estate sale and I already had the guages for them. Got the 20lb from a friend in the food service industry, it was an aluminum tank for coke. Got a bracket for it for $20 from a local fire supply business.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air Tank

aldive said:
We carry an 80 cu ft Scuba cylinder in the Jeep when we are off road. You can fill a ton of tires and do it instantly.

Works well for us.

Al,
I just bought a 80 cu/ft scuba tank to mount in the bed of my Ranger, how did you do the lines and did you use a regulator?
Carlos

Back