what u think of this winch?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what u think of this winch??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dunno. It's been talked about a whole lot on here but I don't know of anybody that owns one. For only a couple bucks more you can have a Mile Marker 8000lb electric and a few more ($400) you can have the Warn 8000. With only 1.8hp, I can imagine it'll be very slow. You will need a snatch block for sure.

I can tell you from experience that no 8000lb winch can ever touch a 9k, except for the Warn 8274. But to jump up to a 9k or 8274, it'll set you back about $1k.

Some of the JPs I run with have various brands of 8k winches. When in the snow, some of them won't pull enough to get out of their own way. Someone with a 9k has to come to the rescue.

Just what I know. Hopefully someone has used the Chicago and can tell you more...

Originally posted by NOTAJP
I can tell you from experience that no 8000lb winch can ever touch a 9k, except for the Warn 8274. But to jump up to a 9k or 8274, it'll set you back about $1k.

The Milemarker 9K is only $499. You can get the Milemarker 12k for $799. Both of which are thier electric versions.

your winch should be rated for a minamum 1.5x your vehicles curb weight to overcome the drag and suction of various trail obstacles.... i know guy's with warn M8000's on explorer's and they do fairly well but most of our recovery's are done with a 3"x30' strap.

my explorer before the SFA was 5500lb's give or take on a DOT scale now add on some mud and you are pushing 6000lb's that to me say's i need a 9000lb winch.

alot of times when you pull with a winch you just need a tug to get your front tires out of a hole or over an obsticle like built up mud infront of you or maybe hung up on a rock or tree so you dont use your winch to it's full potential, but i have seen recovery's that envolved 2 12,000lb warn's and 2 8274-50's and there where a few moment's that all 4 winches stalled out and a snatch block was used.

warn mile marker and ramsey make good reliable winches everything else is just junk.

warn mile marker and ramsey make good reliable winches everything else is just junk. [/B]

I'll beg to differ on that. In the future, I'll only be buying a warn winch. My Ramsey has been nothing but problems. It's broken twice on me, while it haven't beaten it at all...

Heres my .02 I used to have a warn 8000lb on my built up bronco II and it was barely just enough winch to pull me out or up. I didn't have the money for the warn this time so I got the new winch made to warn specs and sold under the name "Magnum 9000" I picked mine up from Stage West Off-Road in Glenwood Springs, CO. for 499.00 970-945-5227 I have not pulled with it yet but I have heard good things about it from people I know who have one.
I think this link will work so you can check it out for your-self http://gowarn.com/magnum-9k-self-recovery-winch.asp
I hope this helps ;)

Swak has a heep he is building to offroad.

I really like that Magnum 9000. I mean you get Warn quality, without the warn price tag: good deal! Up until this point I had been thinking about the Warn M8000, but this seems like a much better buy. This summer when I do my new front bumper and winch I'll be keeping this in mind.

Originally posted by AspenX
Swak has a heep he is building to offroad.

;)

for $700, anything that is 4x4 and runs great cannot be beat.

personally with winches it seems you get what you pay for, the first time a cheap on doenst perform is when youll need it... murphy's law....

Originally posted by SGR1600
I really like that Magnum 9000. I mean you get Warn quality, without the warn price tag:

Got a source for the magnum's???? web page ect.

I had a warn 6000# on my 86 Ranger, never had to use it for myself, just others:p :p .
minumum I would get for my EX would be an 8000#

Tim

Originally posted by Hotweels
my explorer before the SFA was 5500lb's give or take on a DOT scale now add on some mud and you are pushing 6000lb's that to me say's i need a 9000lb winch.

a stock 4x4 4 door explorer has a curb weight of 4500 lbs on a heavy day. What on earth were you carrying?

a stock 4x4 4 door explorer has a curb weight of 4500 lbs on a heavy day. What on earth were you carrying?

full tank of gas, trail tool's, camping gear, food, 3 people and a dog, i hope you dont think that sticker on the door sill is right :eek: even without the gear a mostly empty tank and not even my emergency tool's my truck is still 4900-5000lb's

I'll beg to differ on that. In the future, I'll only be buying a warn winch. My Ramsey has been nothing but problems. It's broken twice on me, while it haven't beaten it at all...

sorry i should have been a wee bit more specific, i have seen 2 patriot's before that would give any warn i series a run for it's money and the owner's use them on full size rig's with 38"s and 39"s in thick praire mud with no breakage as to date....

If a stock explorer with nothing in it really is 4900-5000 lbs, then yours should have been a lot more than 5500 with all of that in it. I belive that you were able to get it to weigh 5500, or close. But there's no way that an empty explorer weighs 5000lbs.

Originally posted by Hotweels
i hope you dont think that sticker on the door sill is right :eek:

That door sill sticker is GWVR, not curb weight.

I do think that car and driver reports, listing curb weight are right though.

Specifications
Engine 4.0-liter sohc V6
Horsepower @ rpm 210 @ 5000
Torque, lb.-ft. @ rpm 250 @ 3000
EPA fuel economy, mpg city/hwy 18/23
Additional engines 160-hp 4.0-liter ohv V6, 215-hp ohv V8
Transmission 5-speed automatic
Additional transmissions 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic (with V8)
Wheelbase 111.5 in.
Length/width/height 188.5/70.2/66.8 in.
Track, f/r 58.8/58.6 in.
Turning circle 37.3 ft.
Head/hip/leg room, f 39.8/51.9/42.4 in.
Head/hip/leg room, r 39.3/51.7/37.7 in.
Max. cargo volume 81.6 cu. ft.
Suspension, f/r independent/live axle
Curb weight 4166 lbs.
Towing capacity 4600 lbs.

take a drive over a scale and get a print out..... you maybe surprised what your truck weigh's.

my truck with no cargo weighed 4125 with no hood, no bumper no grill or lights and no left fender a couple years ago at the racetrack

explorer is pretty heavy anyway... 8000 lbs winch is more suitable for a Wrangler... I just bought a MileMarker 12000lbs electric... sucker weights more than 100 lbs raw... fits in my bumper like a glove... (it's a bit bigger than 9000 lbs)

Pedro, I bought that Ramsey just because I though it's gonna be enough for that truck... I guess I was wrong - never gave me any problems though and I've used it a lot...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My truck weighs around 5500LBS with all the stuff I have in it and on it, easy! My Ramsey is a Platinmum 9500 and hasn't had any problems yet.

Back