What's it like driving an PIU for daily driver? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's it like driving an PIU for daily driver?

Stinger3092

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford CVPI
I've recently got rear ended in my 2011 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor... it was sadly totaled. It only had 96K Miles with a rebuilt trans that had less than 10k miles on it so the insurance gave me a generous amount of money for it. I'm also a stingy person haha so I've had a decent amount saved up so with that being said I believe this is my opportunity to finally own an FPIU. After driving a Police Packaged vehicle for over a year I can never drive a "regular" vehicle ever again. I'd like to know what's it like driving it every day any different from a civilian models and a do people treat you "differently" when you're out on the road? I have a cousin with a black 2013 Sport and he tells me people drive the speed limit sometimes when he's behind them and he's seen people drop their phones when he gets on the side of him so I wondered if this effect is amped up for an actual FPIU. Just curiosity really about that topic. I'm looking at a 2014 FPIU with 97K miles hopefully I can get my hands on it within the week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do people treat you "differently
Strangely it's pretty rare - maybe 10% of people are hesitant to pass. I have no reason to mind the other 90%, but it is a bit puzzling. I'm not sure if people are oblivious or just dismissive. I would think you'd want to err on the side of caution, but people blow by, tailgate, cut me off, and hog the passing lane in front of me all the time.

I have a cousin with a black 2013 Sport and he tells me people drive the speed limit sometimes when he's behind them and he's seen people drop their phones when he gets on the side of him so I wondered if this effect is amped up for an actual FPIU. Just curiosity really about that topic. .

I drive a black XLT, and have noticed a similar reaction on occasion. I can only imagine that this would be increased in a vehicle with even more of a cop-like appearace.

Strangely it's pretty rare - maybe 10% of people are hesitant to pass. I have no reason to mind the other 90%, but it is a bit puzzling. I'm not sure if people are oblivious or just dismissive. I would think you'd want to err on the side of caution, but people blow by, tailgate, cut me off, and hog the passing lane in front of me all the time.

My guess is that those people recognize that you aren't actually a cop, and go on being the @$$hole drivers they usually are. ;)

Interesting I figured anyone with a black explorer is enough to get people to be cautious around you. They probably do check if you're a cop and then continue driving like A ******. This explorer that I'm looking at only has a spotlight but I'm not getting rid of it since I need it to do my parking lot rounds for work to check inside people's car headlights don't reach high enough in most cases (I'm a security officer and the PL don't have lights...) The Crown Vic always got the effect just because it was a cop car for almost 20 years straight but I figured that the explorers are still new to the point where people would not noticed me in traffic.

When black or the color of your local agency(ies) you do notice at times the traffic "change" around you at times.
I had a white 13 XLT (so did/does AZ DPS) and often people would behave differently at times (often to the point they slowed ME down) and now I have a Magnetic 16 Limited so more chrome and AZ DPS is going to the lighter sliver so they don't change around me as often but with my sticker (see avatar <--) when they come up behind me some will ease up or pause for a moment.
I will say this, I loved wearing a tan button up shirt and my white XLT when I needed to get somewhere quicker :)

I've recently got rear ended in my 2011 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor... it was sadly totaled. It only had 96K Miles with a rebuilt trans that had less than 10k miles on it so the insurance gave me a generous amount of money for it. I'm also a stingy person haha so I've had a decent amount saved up so with that being said I believe this is my opportunity to finally own an FPIU. After driving a Police Packaged vehicle for over a year I can never drive a "regular" vehicle ever again. I'd like to know what's it like driving it every day any different from a civilian models and a do people treat you "differently" when you're out on the road? I have a cousin with a black 2013 Sport and he tells me people drive the speed limit sometimes when he's behind them and he's seen people drop their phones when he gets on the side of him so I wondered if this effect is amped up for an actual FPIU. Just curiosity really about that topic. I'm looking at a 2014 FPIU with 97K miles hopefully I can get my hands on it within the week.

Please dont tell me you're buying a vehicle based on how much it helps you impersonate a police officer?

It's a criminal offense in North America.

Please dont tell me you're buying a vehicle based on how much it helps you impersonate a police officer?

Pretty much sounds like it to me.

Lol I just like driving police cars the upgrades they have over a civilian is just a great thing to have. Of course I knew there's going to be people who only think we buy ex cop cars to look like cops lol you're so wrong. My crown vic didn't even have a pushbar or antennas just a spotlight and I put the full size plastic wheel covers on and didn't even have the "Police Interceptor" logo on it... yet people still think I only drive one to look like a cop.... it's whatever I love driving cop cars and if you really can't see that simple thing then I don't know what to tell you. Cops have NEVER bothered me with my car I drove it like I did any other car. In fact the people who hate me for driving one gave more of a **** about it than cops did. Btw impersonating requires action having a car look similar to a police car is not straight up impersonation. If I pulled people over and DECLARED myself as a Law Enforcement officer then yes that would be impersonation. Ignorance is normal in this world! Like I said in an earlier post I'm hoping people don't notice me easily since the explorer is still kinda of new. Say what you want I work with the PD all the time as a Security Guard they don't care the slightest about what I drive so if some random people on the internet do then so be it haha.

I am confused: (LOL) Is this an actual Explorer model Like XLT, Sport, does the badge actually say "Police Interceptor" or is this basically an explorer that is supposed to be built and sold only to law departments?
Could I walk into my local ford dealership and say "I want to buy an Explorer police Interceptor"?

I am confused: (LOL) Is this an actual Explorer model Like XLT, Sport, does the badge actually say "Police Interceptor" or is this basically an explorer that is supposed to be built and sold only to law departments?
Could I walk into my local ford dealership and say "I want to buy an Explorer police Interceptor"?
Yes it is a separate model from the civilian versions and indeed has its own factory name plate because the designated model of this vehicle is a Police Interceptor which is why it's legal to have even tho it says "Police" in it and no you can't go buy one from the dealership. Some PDs get rid of their vehicles due to mileage even if it runs just fine they auction it off then people can buy them usually dealerships like the one I'm getting one from. They strip most of the equipment off such as lights, radios center cosnoel cage etc. but they usually leave a spotlight and pushbar on both of which are 100% legal to have as a civilian (a lot of people think the cops have to remove them because they think it's police only equipment lol)

Pretty much sounds like it to me.

Lol I know the laws in my state and driving a police vehicle even if it looks similar to a police vehicle is 100% legal. Impersonation requires actions. I just like driving police cars the upgrades they have over a civilian is just a great thing to have. Of course I knew there's going to be people who only think we buy ex cop cars to look like cops lol you're so wrong. My crown vic didn't even have a pushbar or antennas just a spotlight and I put the full size plastic wheel covers on and didn't even have the "Police Interceptor" logo on it... yet people still think I only drive one to look like a cop.... it's whatever I love driving cop cars and if you really can't see that simple thing then I don't know what to tell you. Cops have NEVER bothered me with my car I drove it like I did any other car. In fact the people who hate me for driving one gave more of a **** about it than cops did. Btw impersonating requires action having a car look similar to a police car is not straight up impersonation. If I pulled people over and DECLARED myself as a Law Enforcement officer then yes that would be impersonation. Ignorance is normal in this world! Like I said in an earlierpost I'm hoping people don't notice me easily since the explorer is still kinda of new. Say what you want I work with the PD all the time as a Security Guard they don't care the slightest about what I drive so if some random people on the internet do then so be it haha.

If your goal is to have the performance and features of a PIU and not impersonate a Police vehicle then the Sport is exactly what you need.

The Sport carries over everything from the PIU just without the column shifter.

You also gain some really nice creature comforts with the Sport over the PIU as its pretty basic.

As a lieutenant we often get a "take home" car from work.

Driving an unmarked but obvious cop car around had advantages and definite DISadvantages. Ours were white, extra antennas, spotlights, and semi-hidden emergency lighting. Some had government "Exempt" plates, some had cold, civilian plates.

It was nice to park in normally restricted spaces, it was nice to drive a car paid for by someone else.

OTOH, thugs could spot them a mile away and sometimes they would "tag" the car or break in looking for guns. If I drove with family, other people who obviously were not cops there would be the occasional "What a Wannabe" attitude.

Having cars slow down, drive cautiously, etc. was amusing at first but it gets outgrown quickly (I was a cop for 27+ years).

Yes, the Police Interceptor Utility (PIU) and Police Interceptor Sedan (PIS) are unique models and were specifically named as such to be distinct from their retail counterparts.

No, you can't order a PIU or PIS without a FIN Code and a legit Law Enforcement Agency validation. Sometimes Fire Dept's or Search and Rescue can piggyback on Law Enforcement purchases but its more difficult.

While the body is essentially the same there are some significant differences between retail and police.

The big one is that only Interceptor models get a gear shifter on the steering column. If it doesn't have this it's not an Interceptor.

The other big one is only an Interceptor can have the Mustang/Lincoln 3.7L V6 in it, no other Explorer gets that.

Much of the development that went into the Interceptor Utility was carried over to the Sport in mid 2013 when it was born.

Tuning of the engine, AWD, EPAS, PTU, cooling system and pretty much every other system is unique to PI program.

Out here obtaining a new PIU is not too hard for civilians. I don't know about ordering one from the factory through a dealer if you aren't an LEO Fleet Manager but several dealers offer new ones off the showroom floor. Usually happens when a department over orders and then cuts back. Several PIUs were made available this way and once in a while you see an odd PIU demo or odd overstock. If I were looking to buy a PIU I'd simply call up all the local dealers and talk to the fleet manager as I'm sure I could find one.

In addition to the hotter engine, good suspension, etc. the PIU's lose the 3rd row seating and get additional frame bracing back there. The ones my department gets have armored doors, a storage area in back with a hidden area that holds a patrol rifle and shotgun, etc. We get the LED spotlights and the unmarked ones get the hidden emergency lighting.

Here's a pic of a lieutenant's take home car from my dept. The lieutenant who has it used to get pulled over by other city PD's because he had one of the first PIU's out for that year and cops wanted a closeup look! :)

SFSD_Takehome.jpg

I contacted probably 20+ Ford dealers across the US and was unable to secure a "new" unit without appropriate paperwork due to purchase restrictions. There are ways to purchase "used" units with very low miles though (mine was a 2017 with 23 miles). I wanted the cloth rear seats which are not that easy to find and also no exterior police lighting so I jumped on mine when it came up at auction.

I've had mine for a few weeks now. There are definitely people that drive differently around it, but there are still quite a few people that are oblivious (because no markings or lights) and still do the same stupid stuff they always do like tailgate and cut people off as they race from light to light. I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere so I just drive the speed limit and try to watch out for all the a-holes out there.

As far as how it drives, it definitely has a much different shift pattern and the mileage has been a little less than a regular Explorer. The ride is also stiffer than a regular Explorer - haven't driven a 16/17 Sport to compare. I prefer the driving dynamics of vehicles like this (more maneuverable and more feel) and I'm not a fan of leather, chrome, sunroofs and all the tech packages, so this vehicle fit the bill for me. It has all the power basics (PW, PL, Tilt, Cruise, adj pedals, 6 way power seat, AM/FM/CD with Bluetooth phone/audio) looks good. YMMV.

Out here obtaining a new PIU is not too hard for civilians. I don't know about ordering one from the factory through a dealer if you aren't an LEO Fleet Manager but several dealers offer new ones off the showroom floor. Usually happens when a department over orders and then cuts back. Several PIUs were made available this way and once in a while you see an odd PIU demo or odd overstock. If I were looking to buy a PIU I'd simply call up all the local dealers and talk to the fleet manager as I'm sure I could find one.

In addition to the hotter engine, good suspension, etc. the PIU's lose the 3rd row seating and get additional frame bracing back there. The ones my department gets have armored doors, a storage area in back with a hidden area that holds a patrol rifle and shotgun, etc. We get the LED spotlights and the unmarked ones get the hidden emergency lighting.

Here's a pic of a lieutenant's take home car from my dept. The lieutenant who has it used to get pulled over by other city PD's because he had one of the first PIU's out for that year and cops wanted a closeup look! :)

View attachment 96586

That's the EcoBoost PIU you can tell by the grill.....pretty nice for a Supervisor to drive around in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the EcoBoost PIU you can tell by the grill.....pretty nice for a Supervisor to drive around in.

That's his take home car. We lieutenants normally drove marked units on duty, mine was a slick top Crown Vic Interceptor.

Back