Whats the Best Air intake for performance and Oil Filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats the Best Air intake for performance and Oil Filter?

explorer99sport

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer Sport
I wanted to replace my air filter with a K&N Air filter but i heard that the oil messes up the MAF sensor and the throttle body gets dirty. I was also thinking about replacing just the box with an open box using a cone filter drawing air in from the outside. which is better? and are K&N oil filters better than Motorcraft oil filters?:exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my personal preference is stock intake parts... but since nobody is happy with that, i'll at least give one point of advice.. be *sure* whatever intake box you use it draws in air from OUTSIDE only.. a lot of cone filter/"cold air" intakes are exactly the opposite of cold air intake, they just draw air from under the hood of the car (hot air)...well hot air is thinner so it hurts horsepower.

you're stock airbox has a cold air inlet.. be sure anything you replace it with does as well, if it doesn't i'd consider it a serious downgrade.

Dropin & pull silencer

I suggest that you replace the stock air filter with a high flow dropin filter such as the one made by K&N. I let my new filters "air out" (remove the packaging and expose to air) for a week or two before installing. I also suggest that you pop out the silencer/restricter in the lower half of the air filter box.

I use the K&N and modified my air cleaner box to take in cooler air from the grill instead f the fender.

For Oil Filters I prefer Fram Tough Guards.

Amsoil for air and oil is all you'll ever need. Tons of threads in the archives on both offerings. Search around.

Amsoil Air Filter

I just finished reading some comparison test results of the Amsoil vs K&N air filters. My next air filter will be the Amsoil EAA122 high flow, high filtration, high capacity drop in filter. It's less expensive, has better performance and lasts longer than the K&N.

I just finished reading some comparison test results of the Amsoil vs K&N air filters. My next air filter will be the Amsoil EAA122 high flow, high filtration, high capacity drop in filter. It's less expensive, has better performance and lasts longer than the K&N.

Don't forget that Amsoil filters do not use oil and all the problems that come with that. Maintenance is much simpler.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't forget that Amsoil filters do not use oil and all the problems that come with that. Maintenance is much simpler.
Posted via Mobile Device

i have a volant cold air intake. the filter required oil, so i replaced the cone filter with a amsoil filter. what problems can happen with using a dry air filter?

i have a volant cold air intake. the filter required oil, so i replaced the cone filter with a amsoil filter. what problems can happen with using a dry air filter?

Probably nothing. Volant intakes are designed pretty well and I do not think it should matter whether you use a dry or oiled filter. The aftermarket intake is designed to let in more air which is why it needed a more efficient wet type filter. However, since you are going with an amsoil then there should be no issues provided that the surface area of new filter is not significantly smaller than what originally fit in the volant.

The OP's question was regarding drop in filters - so the change in filtration area isn't significantly affected whether he uses a generic paper filter, a K&N type oiled filter or the Amsoil EAA122 nanofiber dry filter. This is more of an efficiency issue.

Now granting that the surface area / filtration area of a cone filter is significantly more than a flat panel filter, then the next question is would you be able to find an amsoil filter that would fit inside your volant intake.

I've been using an Amsoil cone filter with my Volant based intake on my 5.0 for 4+ years now and never noticed any issues whatsoever.

Old pic:

intake3.jpg

More recent pic, but before a pile of powdercoating I had done in July:

air_intake.jpg

i cant find the Amsoil EAA122 air filter anywhere

I'm just looking for the best air filter for performance and making the vehicle run better overall

Neither. If anything, a slightly throatier sound that gives a "perceived" power gain. IMO, best bang for the buck would be an XCal 4 custom tune.

Not putting a tune in my car just want it to run better. Doing a full overhaul once I change the fuel pump and whichever 02 sensors are bad

Neither. If anything, a slightly throatier sound that gives a "perceived" power gain. IMO, best bang for the buck would be an XCal 4 custom tune.

I agree with that statement but I am only speaking of mine as well as close friends personal experience with a CAI. They claim you will gain 10+ HP from a CAI but I have seen dyno tests ran with no increases like manufacturers claim.. Just a louder sounding exhaust. I too am in the market for a CAI

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air filter K&N FIPK, have had for years, no problems. Oil filter, motorcraft, no problems.

Back