Wheel fell off | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel fell off

Twweet! Penalty...too much BS on the field. Like the others with '04's here, I'd like to see some pics. I've rotated the tires 3 times on ours (40k highway miles), and there's not a hint of anything other than surface rust on anything under the truck after 2 winters of road salt.

Anyone else notice the poster hasn't re-visited the thread? :rolleyes: I'm guessing there was some owner-error here.

There's really only two reasons the wheel can fall off: Over-torquing or under-torquing the lugs. The latter is more common IMHO than the former. Typically, if over-torquing is going to break the stud, it happens in the technician's hands. As he's wrenching it down, SNAP! Under-torquing, however, lets you drive it away before the problem arises. I forgot to tighten down a wheel on my F-150 once a few years back.... The nuts were finger-tight to start with. It went a full three days before the shimmy showed up, and it took me a whole day of driving before I figured out what was causing it!

Now, if they were under-torqued, they can loosen up, the wheel starts to wobble, and the stud eventually fatigues and breaks.

Just be glad that the wheel didn't pass her up on the freeway.

And the whole rust story from the dealership.... I ain't buyin' it! No way, Jose'

-Joe

Stealership :p

I had my tire pass me, when I was 16, on my first car, switched to winter tires. Guess which 16 year old didnt torque down all the lugs like dad told him to?

Yup, the tire hit a Geo metro coming the other way too. I was doing about 30. they gave me a ride home :)
Not fun

I'm gonna go on the record saying I move to raise the BS flag... I live in New England, and we see more salt use than anyone, extreme climate changes, crazy driving, horrible roads, potholes, etc... And the way I torque things, all my wheels should come off. But they don't.... I'd say the dealer is full of it, I'd need pics too...

Either way:
A) go somewhere else, and have it checked out...
B) Go for new studs all around. Can you put a price on safety?
C) Explain to your wife that 3 tires isn't "just as good as four"... lol

Back