Wheel question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel question

BlueSilver

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
We have the 20 inch wheels. I know they are popular among thieves. I see that the Explorer comes with a locking lug which we have the key for. Are each of these keys for the locking lug specific to each vehicle, or can a key from one Explorer be used to fit the lug on another? And I do have the key hidden away from the obvious places to look for it.

The dealer where I bought my truck had the 22" wheels stolen off an Edge Sport. They had the thing in a well lighted parking lot at the end of the row by the entrance. Security cameras abound, but didn't catch anything. I told the salesman that ya better get some more cameras. And then he told me they were 9500.00 wheels and they had a 2000.00 deductible. Yikes! Also said they didn't have a key.... Just broke the lug?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Each set has a unique key. However, there are tools out there that will easily remove wheel locks. The locks will stop amateur wheel thieves but not the professional ones that drive around in vans and steal many sets in one night.

Each set has a unique key. However, there are tools out there that will easily remove wheel locks. The locks will stop amateur wheel thieves but not the professional ones that drive around in vans and steal many sets in one night.

Lovely..... Can't have anything nice without having fear at the same time. Of course insurance is 70.00 more a month vs last SUV.

Lovely..... Can't have anything nice without having fear at the same time. Of course insurance is 70.00 more a month vs last SUV.

Nothing is safe if someone really wants something.

Nothing is safe if someone really wants something.

Oh I know this..... That's why you frequently have to adjust and adapt to that.

I asked the dealer if I should bring the locking nut socket with me if wheels had to be removed or did they have a 'master type' socket. He said to bring it with me.Had the 20" painted aluminum wheels on my Limited without the locking wheel nuts. Never was a concern where I live. When I changed from my 2011 Limited to the 2014 MKT with the polished 20 wheels, my insurance actually dropped a few bucks. Now paying $502 a year for full coverage.

Peter

Back