• Register Today It's free!

steering wheel lock

dtr

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 ford EX XLT AWD
my xlt has a key, but not on the steering wheel, so do 2014 EX have a steering wheel locking mechanism or have they done away with those locks?

If they have done away with them why do they want the key turned to accessories for towing behind a MH?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my xlt has a key, but not on the steering wheel, so do 2014 EX have a steering wheel locking mechanism or have they done away with those locks?

If they have done away with them why do they want the key turned to accessories for towing behind a MH?
It does not seem to have the 'hard' lock that other vehicles had.
From the Owner's Guide;
WARNING: Switching off the engine when the vehicle is still
moving will result in a loss of brake and steering assistance.
The steering will not be locked, but higher effort will be required.
When the ignition is switched off, some electrical circuits, warning
lights and indicators may also be off.

I can only guess that due to all the electrical circuits, the accessory mode will supply power to items that have to do with towing with all 4 wheels on the ground.

Peter

It does not seem to have the 'hard' lock that other vehicles had.
From the Owner's Guide;
WARNING: Switching off the engine when the vehicle is still
moving will result in a loss of brake and steering assistance.
The steering will not be locked, but higher effort will be required.
When the ignition is switched off, some electrical circuits, warning
lights and indicators may also be off.

I can only guess that due to all the electrical circuits, the accessory mode will supply power to items that have to do with towing with all 4 wheels on the ground.

Peter

Thanks

I will continue to put it in accessory mode, but if it does not lock I really do not see the rationale.

Your response helps a lot though as it helps me understand what is really happening.

Steering Lock With Push Button Start

Hallo,

I just wanted to ask, if someone has a Explorer with keyless go and how the steering lock works?

I think my steering lock won't activate, because I can always steer, no matter if the car is locked or not. As far as I remember the steering is locked by electronics with a noticeable motor sound for a second when opening/leaving the car (this sound is missing).

If so, does anyone has an idea how to repair the lock?

I had this same issue when I had my Taurus. I do not believe they implemented a steering lock with our vehicles.

In this case a repair makes no sense :D
Thanks for the reply :)

Back