Wheel Locks Yes/No? Ford or 3rd Party? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Locks Yes/No? Ford or 3rd Party?

Do you have Wheel Locks? Ford or 3rd Party?

• Total voters

pwscott

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
So as I admire my 2012 Ex in the garage, I wonder whether I ought to think about putting wheel locks on. It's a Limited with the standard 20" wheels not the polished chrome which I wasn't big on with the Sterling Grey I wanted.

I have had them on cars in the past, but not on my last two. I keep the car in a garage, but I do travel extensively and park in Marriotts and Hampton Inns and so on as well as parking garages in the northeast.

So if I do get them, shall I get Ford's lock or some 3rd party? I know when I have had BMWs in the past that the dealers seemed to have the X number of various keys that were matched to their BMW brand locks so if you lost a key (which really is a socket that matches the weird pattern of the lug nut head for the lock right), you could expect the dealer could still get them off and you could probably order another key. [I discovered that when I bought a certified pre-owned 540i and there was no key in the car when I went to have the brakes worked on at another dealer ;-0)

Anyway, interested to know what others have done on this. If you bought some 3rd party may be you could note why, what brand or source for them and how much you paid. Looks like the Ford Locks are about $40.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting to see that other brands also have provisions for replacement keys when needed. (NOTE: Look at the last tiny image on the right under the item, it shows a sticker for the vehicle with the wheel lock key code and how to get one).

That is from this item on Amazon from Gorilla Guard in L.A.....for $14.99...not sure how a 1.5" deep chrome lock nut will look on my non-chrome wheels though??

Have been using wheel locks on my vehicles since the 80's (hey anyone remember the 80's...) Anyway, always used McGuard back then. They seemed to be the best. Even when I bought a set for a Honda from the dealer, they were McGuard packaged with a Honda part no. Have a set of Gorilla locks and they seem to be pretty decent also. As far as current brand, I would probably go with OEM (especially at $40). IF Ford thinks they are decent then that is good enough for me. Ability to get a replacement key is nice also.

Just bolted on a set of Gorilla locks for my 2012 EX. They were $14.95 @ Amazon (vs. $40+ for Ford). They looks fine, despite lock being chrome, not really noticeable.
They come with a sticker to place near your tire pressure sticker in the door jam with the serial number of the lock in case you would ever lose the lock. Instructions say should be last nut installed and first nut removed when installing or pulling a wheel.

Trying to Add Picture

One of the things I like about the Gorilla Locks is that outside ring into which the key inserts is free-turning. So you can't grab it with a giant vice-grip and twist it off for example or even grind it easily as it will spin. Do the Ford locks have an outer ring like that or not?

No, check the link there's a pic of them.

I have the 20 inch rims on my 2011 exp XLT

any one know what size I should order? Seems like a good deal for 14.95

Hi Everyone, very excited as my new Ex should be arriving soon.

Just wondering what brand of wheel locks some of you are using and why?

They dealer put them on mine and I took them back off and put them in the glove box when I did my first tire rotation.

But then I don't live in a area that has a high crime rate or instances of wheels being stolen. Also 90% of the time my Explorer is in the garage.

They dealer put them on mine and I took them back off and put them in the glove box when I did my first tire rotation.

But then I don't live in a area that has a high crime rate or instances of wheels being stolen. Also 90% of the time my Explorer is in the garage.

Ya, I'm like you, my vehicles always sit inside my locked garage... a little paranoid ... had a car stolen when I was a kid as I was selling it right out of the driveway...

Now always aware of my surroundings...don't want to make anything easy for these low life's.

Hi Everyone, very excited as my new Ex should be arriving soon.

Just wondering what brand of wheel locks some of you are using and why?

I went with Ford/OEM wheel locks and purchased them on Ebay for about $30-$35. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Yeah me too, I had the dealer remove them as I am not nearly as concerned about them being stolen but more that I don't want to be on the side of the road somewhere and not find the "key" in the EX.

We'll be going with Gorilla Locks on our 2017 Platinum that's on order, but then we're a bit biased as our son is the National Sales Manager for Gorilla.

We'll be going with Gorilla Locks on our 2017 Platinum that's on order, but then we're a bit biased as our son is the National Sales Manager for Gorilla.
Group discount!!!!!! :D

Peter

my EX came with wheel locks. i took them off promptly and tossed them. I personally have no time for wheel locks. am always trying to figure out where that special spot i put it in so i'd not lose everytime i change my tires.

also have had those cheap wheel locks strip on me in the past. lost the wheel lock for the mcguard that my xc90 came with and was a serious ***** to get it off. didn't want to pay dealer $200 to take it off even though i think they were the ones that lost and didn't give it back.

sooo many other reasons why i do not like them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wheel locks are not standard issue. If the vehicle had them on when you picked it up then the dealer installed them and you likely paid for them. If you check the looong list of items that came with the Explorer on FordEtis you won't find wheel locks listed. Check the Accessories Store on the Ford website and you'll find them listed. $54.99 US or $64.14 CDN.
Just keep the 'special tool' in the glovebox or with the jack. If someone wants your wheels bad enough they are going to get them one way or another. The 'another' possibly being taking the whole vehicle.

Peter

Back