Where are all the used 1st gens? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are all the used 1st gens?

Most have probably been crushed by now. I'm keeping eyes open for a gen1 sport but they just aren't showing up often, or they're ready to be crushed.
And that right there is why whenever I think of selling my gen 1 sport, I remember that outside of this community it’s probably gonna end up getting crushed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they are getting very old and cost of a trans or major motor work iven a/c full rebuild coul cost more than value.

Totally. In fact, they are beyond that point. It is a given that once a vehicle hits the bottom of it's depreciation curve, almost any meaningful repair costs "more than it's worth". That is the point where "what it's worth" becomes more an issue of what it's worth to you, (or if it starts to appreciate in the collector market because it is interesting or rare). We have a 2003 (Fall 2003 build date) 5.0 v8 BMW ///M5. It hit the bottom of it's depreciation value a long time ago, as another and yet another M5 came out. But... now... Collectors are becoming interested (last of the V8's, proper six speed manual, etc...) and low mileage, good condition examples are skyrocketing. I don't know if this will happen with our explorers, but maybe? Ours is a 1997 OHC 4.0, low'ish miles (147K). It's blue book value is tiny. but Because everything works like it should, it essentially works like a new car with nothing wrong with it, so it's worth more to us than what we could get for selling it. so selling is a bad idea... for us.

-Peter

I haven't seen any on Craigslist in ages in Phoenix or the surrounding cities. I started searching random cities on CL looking for 1st gens, and nothing. Nothing for sale one Ebay either. :dunno:
Found a '92 XLT w/ 102,000! miles. Love it.

I haven't seen any on Craigslist in ages in Phoenix or the surrounding cities. I started searching random cities on CL looking for 1st gens, and nothing. Nothing for sale one Ebay either. :dunno:
Found a '92 XLT w/ 102,000! miles. Love it.
Found a 92 w/ 102,000!

It's true. Driving my 94, it is very often the oldest vehicle on the road in general. Even the landscapers and gardeners drive newer toyotas.
I have a 1994 I bought brand new from dealer Feb.1995 XLT 4 door 4Wd and 125,000 miles. I have babied my baby all this time. No rust, dings, and all parts work.......well almost. Need a new Drivers seat with power parts and a new overhead. I search for parts everywhere to replace pieces that are getting old or falling apart. Just got the red upper tail light over the lift door because the plastic disintegrates.

But having problems at the junk yards finding Explorer parts. Some 1995 parts fit the 94. Not sure why. Anyhow, 91-94 are almost impossible to find here in Jacksonville, Fla. And parts, I am being out bid by other owners. Trying to keep her working and looking good to get my antique tag in 2024. I am to old a lady to buy a new car nor want one. Can't get under her like i use too and no one to leave her too.. The 94 is a great running Explorer. We will go out together. And lots of stored parts.

20190223_143851.jpg

I have a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 384, 648 miles on it. Still original motor. 2nd Transmission. Still runs great. Just replaced the Front seal on the transmission and Servo motor on transfer case.
Will have them both put back in very soon. Will be changing all fluids as well.
Also, have a 1999 Ford Explorer Limited tri color white , all wheel drive, 410 rear end, 386, 438 miles .4.0 SHOC, still original motor. I am starting to get the famous timing chain rattle on start up. . Oil changed every 3, 000 miles Just changed both differentials and transfer case fluids last year.
This vehicle has been registered with Ford when it turned 375,000 miles on both original engine and transmission.. Got a very nice letter.
Had the transmission original one, rebuilt at 378, 000. Same unit , got the kit from What ever it takes.
Everything , pretty much still works, sun roof, heated seats, mach 1 system. Etc.
Had to replace wear and tear parts over the years. This site was very helpful for that!!!!
I still have the original A /C compressor, small and leak somewhere. I have to put in a charge at the beginning of the Summer and at the end.Summers can get very hot in Atlanta. Plus everyone in awhile, need to bang the compressor with a ball pin hammer.lol! Maybe last summer for this compressor.
I plan on keeping this vehicle to see if it can 500,000.
I have attached pictures of both vehicles.

IMG_20200318_180301.jpg

IMG_20210222_144019.jpg

None around me...at least not any you would want to own. Even 2nd gens are rare.

Don't forget to check Facebook marketplace too. That's inherited a lot of the listings that used to go to craigslist.
That's where I found mine, had/has a few issues to work out.

Seen a couple in Colorado on Facebook market place

None around me...at least not any you would want to own. Even 2nd gens are rare.
There are few on craigslist in Denver...there tends to be one or two in each junk yard close to Brett and me here in Denver.
Long live the first Gen...I just hope they go for as much as the 1990's Bronco's are going for some day :)
1618716258359.png

1618716407705.png

1618716470456.png

I've been doing the same in FL, GA, NC, SC. I bought 2 in the last 6 months and have seen a couple more on CL. But thats it. Too bad CL charges now...not gonna help.

It didn't help when CL started to charge for ads. I've also noticed that the ones in the junk yard are absolutely thrashed beyond belief. When the first gens began to age out in the mid to late 2000s obviously they were younger vehicles and in usually decent shape. C4C was awful but the vehicles in the yards were pristine.
There are still some here and there but usually owned by older folks that cared for them, or the few wheelers that know how great these can be, but they're usually modded like crazy so that leaves intact stock Exs as a pretty rare thing. I see more in the junk yard now than for sale online. It's sad, too. The ones in the junkyard almost all show signs of bad repairs and rough lives, as they're usually turned in by the fifth owner at that point, and it's likely the final owner didn't have much money to be able to care for it much.

I've also noticed that the ones in the junk yard are absolutely thrashed beyond belief.
I've seen a couple pretty nice ones show up in the so cal junk yards in the past 5 months. Like plastic is still soft nice. No crack in the dash nice.
Then there is the other end, where an ac outlet is drilled into the dash with cabling connected to something behind the "upgraded!" plywood door panel . There was also a beehive.

Plenty of first and second Gen explorers here in Northern Ca. for sale, Check Craigslist Bay Area and surrounding areas like Modesto, Stockton, Tracy or generally 100 mile radius of San Jose, Ca. Some with issues but priced to sell.

Plenty of first and second Gen explorers here in Northern Ca. for sale, Check Craigslist Bay Area and surrounding areas like Modesto, Stockton, Tracy or generally 100 mile radius of San Jose, Ca. Some with issues but priced to sell.
👍 Picked my 1st gen up from Placerville. The PO didn't want to deal with the blown transmission and the back hatch was stuck closed.
I swooped it up. Fixed it and now driving it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back