Where are all the Virginia Explorers?? | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are all the Virginia Explorers??

where is the land located?
I am familiar with the lexington area, i have relatives that own property there.

it is a bit of a drive but it sounds like fun

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been meaning to check in. I'm around but not as much as I used to be.

Good News Bad News... I've gone to the dark side. Bought an '07 Rubicon Unlimited :smoke: about 3 weeks ago. Still have the Ex, but not sure for how long. Haven't officially put it up for sale. I'll still be up for runs as long as you don't mind a Jeep tagging along.

Mark, you must have scored that big job. CV4WA (long Island) would be a great place for a new truck. Most of the guys wheel full size rigs, so the trails are wide with few tight turns, and lots of bypasses.

where is the land located?
I am familiar with the lexington area, i have relatives that own property there.

it is a bit of a drive but it sounds like fun

About 15 minutes East of Altavista. Altavista is about 20 mins South of Lynchburg. On Moons Road.

Directions from Route 29 Business in Altavista.
Head East on Pittsylvania Ave and follow it through it's many name changes. When you come to a sharp right turn (near a church) the road will turn into Wards RD.
After this sharp right, turn left onto Level Run RD
Follow Level Run RD to Moons RD and turn left.
Follow Moons Road and look left, when you get to the club land you'll know it!

If you're coming from the East you CAN follow these directions from Rustburg:
Follow 501 South to Long Island RD, this will be about 1/4 mile after Kendrick(?) Baptist Church.
Follow Long Island over two bridges.
After the second bridge turn right onto Moons road. Follow Moons road until you see the club land on the right.

Cell phone coverage is spotty at best, if you plan on coming let Bobby or I know so we can keep an eye out for you and/or meet you somewhere a bit more civilized as it's a bit difficult to find on your own the first time.

I can be reached at any time 920-279-6644

Kevin, congrats on the job and the Jeep!

I could care less what you wheel as long as your having a good time.

I'm itching for some trail. Do you guys have a date on the next VA run? Hopefully before this month passes by?

I'm itching for some trail. Do you guys have a date on the next VA run? Hopefully before this month passes by?

How 'bout Saturday? Lunch at 1:00. wheel'n all day get as muddy as you like.

Did you guys hear that Crozet is trying to become members only. You'd pay $100/year and then $25/day or $40/wknd. There are some benefits to it however. I wouldn't consider it unless you NEED hard-core rocks.

Saturday eh, I'm still finishing up my hydro steer but I'll try to rush it. I'm not much for mud but hopefully there are more dry trails and good slab of rocks.

Saturday eh, I'm still finishing up my hydro steer but I'll try to rush it. I'm not much for mud but hopefully there are more dry trails and good slab of rocks.

Talk to Bobby about rocks, unfortunately I haven't found much if anything for rocks.

How many Ex's do we have going? Anybody daytripping it? I'm gonna try to get out to it. Need to get the Ex in the shop first to get an AC leak fixed.

How many Ex's do we have going? Anybody daytripping it? I'm gonna try to get out to it. Need to get the Ex in the shop first to get an AC leak fixed.

I'm heading up after work on Friday, camping Friday and Saturday night. Anyone wanna help do a Head gasket or brakes on a Zuk is MORE than welcome. Anyone that just wants to camp and enjoy the weekend is welcome too

what a day we had, didn't get a count but it had to be more than 40 trucks. lots of fun was had by all. sorry you missed it.

Got a pic or two BobbyDCrawley?

I think Andy took a few, not sure. I never take photo's no evidence that way.

Got a pic or two BobbyDCrawley?
I think Andy took a few, not sure. I never take photo's no evidence that way.

I took 130+ photos but have not uploaded them yet. Ran out of film (SD memory) and couldn't find my spare.

We also have some video but I have no idea of when I'll get to that.

Im trying to do a campin trip with some friends at gwnf does ne one no of a good spot to camp and do a little light wheeling for a stocker since my two buddys don't have lifts yet

You could do Stoney run, or Shoe Creek, (rough camping). Stoney run if you enter at Bald Knob on the blue ridge parkway, the easy part of the trail and the best camp sites are within about a mile of pavement. Shoe Creek trail begins at Crabtree Meadows (Falls), a very popular camping destination. They even have a latrine. We have run stock rangers/explorers with 31s without damage or stuck, but either trail is challenging for stock. Both trails are within 15-miles of each other.

somewhere to go

how soon do you want to go. CV4WA land is perfect for what you're looking to do. a member must sponser the event. second weekend every month is our meetings at the land end a ride to follow. as said before make what you want it to be.

Im trying to do a campin trip with some friends at gwnf does ne one no of a good spot to camp and do a little light wheeling for a stocker since my two buddys don't have lifts yet

Crabtree falls is another spot that a stocker can make it through and has camping. Depending on your level and your buddies level I would suggest going with someone with some experience. Tons of great people, well known trails for all abilities, people to help if you get stuck or break down and usually a few big rigs to watch in awe at. I always camp when I go being from Richmond. In any case if you're looking for others to tag along I'd be willing to make a run up to anywhere some weekend. My only problem is that I'm busy many weekends. Currently October is already filling up.

Being from Chantilly, Virginia you probably are looking for something a bit closer. The only place I know of that I did with unclemeat when I first moved here 2 years ago wasThe wheeling was ok, great for someone with little to no experiance or if we got some rain. Camping along the trail was slim to none, depending on how you camp. We ended up finding a place near a river to camp at. The place had some monster holes. Here are some pics

Estimated driving times:
CV4WA - 3hrs 49mins
2nd Mtn - 2hrs 8mins
Crabtree Falls - 2hrs 46mins
I haven't been to Shoe Creek yet so I'm not exactally sure where it is. I'm pretty sure it's north of Altavista (the CV4WA land) and south of I-64

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Edenburg Gap is close to DC. Andy remember we did those trails. That was the place with all the ATVs. They were similar to Second Mountain.

Crabtree Falls is the upper trail head for Shoe Creek.

Back