• Register Today It's free!

Wheres the Air Temp Sensor

Bmwz389

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I just installed a piggy back power chip on my mass airflow sensor wiring and i was wondering if its the same as the air temp sensor....cause on my 1992 its on the mafs metal tubing? please say so lol or is it on the throttle body

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aw man! Don't buy those things! It's a 10 cent resistor that makes you run lean, which lowers your mileage and the life of your cats.

Doesn't it fool the truck into thinking its getting cooler air, thus making the truck run rich, not lean? Either way. Throw it away, its garbage and will hurt your truck in the long run.

huskyfan23 said:
Aw man! Don't buy those things! It's a 10 cent resistor that makes you run lean, which lowers your mileage and the life of your cats.

I think they make the truck run rich.

Not a worthy mod in my opinion.

well i already bought it and dont wanna throw it away. i didn't wanna spend 270 on a programmer, so im gonna stick with this thing. but did i put it on right

Actually, due to the year of your Explorer it is OBD 1 meaning you can't use a programmer anyway.

The intake air temp sensor is in the upper intake plenum.. Drivers side.. towards the rear..

I've tried this mod before ( I put in my own variable resister).. When the motor is cool it adds more fuel AND advances the timing.. If I did anythng with the resister to make it think it was cooler out it would actually ping since I had too much advance..

~Mark

so i put it on wrong. does anybody have a picture of what it looks like?

MVC-215F.JPG

is it anywhere in this picture?

Yes...
The big cylinder looking thing is the IAC (Idle Air Control)... Just behind it (to the back of the motor) is the IAT (Intake air Temp). So, its between the vacuum octopus(sp?) and the IAC.

~Mark

MVC-215F.JPG

where the red is circled is where i need to hook up my piggy back unit??

no... What you circled is the connector to the IAC.. the next connector back is the IAT...

~Mark

Don't put garbage like that on your truck man, its not worth it in the long run (or the short run for that matter).

well then what should i do. I paid for it, im not gonna be an idiot and throw it away...

besides how do you know that it kills the truck if you havn't experienced it firsthand?

Not be an idiot and throw it away, that's rich! It's a .10 resistor. I'm not sure where it goes. Many people on this site have researched this scam and found it to make vehicles run rich. Running rich is bad and can cause major damage over time.

So what ur saying is i should send it back while i can and then what performance thats bang for buck should i put in?

Yeah, send it back if you can. I assume the "high-flow K&N" you have in is just a panel replacement? Your first mod should be a KKM from www.kustomz.com and then do a catback exhaust, 2.25" pipe, next would be a 66mm BBK throttle body, a custom chip would be last.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back