Which Explorer tows the best? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Explorer tows the best?

I would like to buy a used Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator in the near future with a few things in mind:
1. Daily driver for the wife and kids, 3rd row seating
2. AWD
3. I want to be able to tow!

I think what I need to tow may max out any Explorer. I'd need to be able to tow a carhauler tandem axle trailer with my Bronco II on it. I'd estimate close to 6k lbs. Trailer has brakes. I also load this trailer with 4 quads (big ones), estimate of 4.5k lbs. And in the winter 3 snowmobiles occupy the trailer, 4.5k lbs.

I'm leaning towards a 2002-2005 4.6L AWD with tow package. Is this the Explorer to get that can tow the best out of the box?

I'd be willing to modify if necessary to accommodate a higher towing capacity.

2202115_224_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 2002 XLT V8 and i pulled a trailer almost like yours, it was loaded up and was total about 6000lbs. it pulled very nicely.

yes, it was loaded up with about 100 gallons of water and about 10 55 gallon barrels filled with ice and pop. it pulled all that very nicely. trailer is a custom built job. has everything your has and the whole bed acts as an air chamber so it can be filled with air. it lowered the rear a good 3 inches i wanna say. but it still pulled like a champ.

I have never weighed my trailer, I am just estimating about 2k lbs....

Thanks for the info Flying!

A few question-

Why AWD vs. 4x4?

I doubt your tailer weighs 2k, most tandem axle trailers are under 1k that I have seen. The best way to tell would be to find a truck scale, weigh the truck, then weigh the truck and trailer. I'll bet its under 1k.

What stinks is the new body style has limited ways it could be upgraded for towing since it has IRS and coil springs. The 4.6 would be a great motor to tow with, a trans cooler may be a good idea, since the transmission behind the 3rd gens is based on the 5R55E transmission.

Do they make them in a 4x4? I thought they were either 4x2 or AWD. If part time 4x4 is an option then that would be preferred, this is exactly the mistake I didn't want to make.

I'd like to do the trans cooler/temp guage, sct tune, exhaust intake atleast, or supercharge.

I'll have to find a scale around here, I have no idea where one would be.

mine is a 4x4. but the thing is, its 4x4 auto. and then i have regular 4x4 and 4x4 low.

With some searching through the owner's manuals tomorrow, I can probably find the Explorer combination that will tow the most weight. I'll see what I can dig up in the AM.

However, there's no telling exactly how much you need to be able to tow until you physically weigh the rig. Find the nearest CAT scale (most truck stops with scales are CAT scales), and spend the $9 to find out. It's easy: Load the rig up, haul it over there, and weigh the truck and trailer together, making sure each axle is on its own scale pad. Then, drop the trailer in the parking area and drive back around to the scale to weigh the truck. From the numbers that generates, you can calculate the trailer gross axle weight, trailer tongue weight (and, therefore, the potential need for a weight distributing hitch), gross trailer weight, and the axle weights on the tow vehicle both static and when loaded.

Without those numbers, it's a guessing game at best. You'll be surprised how it all adds up FAST! You might also be surprised to know how far above the vehicle's or trailer's capacities you might be.

-Joe

Also, with the need for the 3rd row, does that mean you'll be hauling a full load of passengers too? Trying to pull a 6k+ trailer with an Explorer loaded with 7 passengers and gear is likely going to overload the best of them. You're going to want true numbers before taking that plunge. I've pulled my 5000 lb boat with my Explorer, and I would not recommend that with any Explorer for any significant distance.

If you're that serious about towing 6000 lbs, you should be looking at an Expidetion with the 5.4L

The Aviator is rated at 7300 lbs and is a joy to drive. The suspension is slightly different than the X. It's super quiet too, they even use thicker glass than Fords or Mercury.

I love mine but haven't towed the boat with it yet, only had it since Nov.

I've also read that the new models can tow about 7300 lbs. There are 4 of us in the family right now, plus luggage. I know things add up so I was trying to estimate on the high side, 2000 for the trailer and 4000 for my bronco II.

Right now I have a F150, 5.4L, Supercharged. It is pushing 340 HP and 450 lb/ft, even it struggles on hills we have out here. It doesn't really suit the wife for a daily driver though. I was hoping to combine the wife's daily driver and my tow rig into one vehicle.

Sounds like I need to get to a scale.

Yup, sounds like you're definetly in the Expedition/Navigator catagory, otherwise you need 2 vehicles. A DD for the wife and a diesel F250/350 for towing.

Or maybe I'll do test run pulling the Bronco with my moms 2006 Mountaineer.

towed a 65 Impala from alaska to tn with me, wife, kid, 2 cats, 1 dog and 1200lbs of "gear". So long as you pay attention and don't overwork it, they'll tow way more than rated for :thumbsup:

Just skimmed the manuals... The '06-up 2wd Explorers are rated for 7300 lbs, the 4x4s are rated for 7120 lbs... That's with a 4.6L, 3.55 gears. However, anything over 4000 lbs will also require a weight distributing hitch since the max weight-carrying tongue weight is only 500 lbs. Figuring 10-15% tongue weight, that gives a max trailer weight of 5000 lbs (if balanced a little tongue-light) without weight distribution. To tow the BII alone you'd be right near the limits without a WDH.

And I would agree that you're in Expy/Navi territory at a minimum. Even those will seem anemic climbing a 6% grade with a 6000 lb load behind it.

If you want to be able to comfortably pull that load all day long, and you want the family-hauling capacity, you need an Excursion PSD. The Diesel will drag the rig around all day long and never break a sweat.

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for looking that up Joe.

Those PSD's do tow amazing. I've towed my bronco/trailer with one and it doesn't even flinch.

Back