Why do I always have to go better? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why do I always have to go better?

R

rock883

Huh?????? Now I am looking into buying a 12" sub, and a new box to go with it. I would love to keep the 10" recessed in the back, but it just isn't enough for me, lol!! Geeez, I sure did pick an exspensive hobby, didn't I? Anyways, I was going through tmselectronics.com and here are the subs I picked out:
JL 12W6 Dead Link Removed
Alpine Type R http://www.alpine1.com/html/swr_1240d.html
Infinity Perfect http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.asp?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT12.1'&Ser=KPE&Cat=SUB
MTX Thunder 8000 Dead Link Removed
& Kicker XPL Dead Link Removed
All of these are 12" 4ohm versions, unless one of them offers an 8ohm DVC model, to run it parallel, which I have yet to find one that has an 8ohm DVC model, most are just 4 ohm DVC, but my MTX can't candle a 2 ohm load. Also, looking for a good box, something that will let my sub sound great. I was looking at these at sounddomain.com:
http://www.sounddomain.com/shopping...ebar_type=brands&selected=R/T&start=1&show=46 . Tell me what you guys think about these models, and any other you would like to suggest to me. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd dump the XPLs from your want list. The reason for them being referred to as "XPL" is because they were engineered for more SPL (Louder) but at the expense of sacrificing heavy low end. These are a pretty old series, and the main selling point that was touted was that they sounded like "double your amplifier output". That's because the sensitivity is about 3 db more than most subs, which usually theoretically requires double the amplifier power to theoretically reach 3 more db in SPL. That's just my opinion on those in particular.

Check the car audio mags...I just read an article in one of them about the Type R and that they kick ass....If ya want...I could find the article if ya want.
Pete

websites

After hours of research, I've found a number of websites (non-auction) that offer good stuff at reasonable (and sometimes real cheap) prices. Wasn't sure about the protocol of putting up URL's though?

via con carne,
karl_burns

Karl, just put the URL in the text, make sure to write out the "http://" part too, and it will automatically become a link on your post. A note, there are a lot of ripoff online dealers here too. I'd suggest to anyone to at least try and call them once just to contact them, or at least send an e-mail and see if they respond. If they don't answer or have a number listed, best to leave them alone or make sure to use some payment that will give you leverage if they don't come through, like a good credit card. Soundhabit.com and discountcarstereo.com comes to mind as one of those that has received a lot of complaints, and difficult to get in touch with.

I've placed one order with http://www.Sounddomain.com and was very pleased with my results...They were quick with the shipping etc. I'd definately check there for anyone interested in car audio products.....not to mention they've got a decient help page and excellent selection of products!
Just my thoughts....
Pete

OK, so now I am with the JL 12W6, the Type R, the Perfect and the 8000. I like the way the Type R looks cool(I know its not the looks that counts, just something I like also) and Pete said that the article had a good review of it, so, the Type R is looking good. If you don't mind Pete, could you tell me what the article said, or if you have a scanner, scan it for me and e-mail it to me? I was looking at buying one of these from http://www.tms-electronics.com . Jon (JTang), has said they have great customer sevice, and I know they have very low prices. I have bought from sounddomain.com, and would buy from again, and I also agree about the selection, they have a ton of brands. Anyone have anything else to say about any of the subs I have picked out? And thanks (once again)Jon for keeping me from making a big mistake. Jon, you need to get paid for this or something, either that or go get some type of job selling car audio stuff (if you don't already), you know A LOT and help out just about every time someone(inlcuding me) needs some help/

Okay Rock, here's what I can tell ya....The december issuse of Car Audio and Electronics has the test of the Alpine SWR-1040.....If ya really want more details, I can quote some things...and yes, it does look like a wicked woofer!
Also Rock, did you send the speakers to my home address?
Thanks,
Pete

Hey Rock,

Thanks for the compliment. I don't want to seem like I'm flooding everybody with information all the time, but let's face it, car audio is an expensive hobby. I've spent a lot of time and (wasted) a lot of money making a lot of the same mistakes anyone else has, and I'd prefer others not to make the same ones I did. It's like reinventing the wheel. I know how hard it is to save money for that new gadget you want! Even worse when you realize it's not what you wanted! An old friend of mine went through 8 sets of woofers before he was finally happy. It's just one of those things where you'll never know till it's actually in your car. Luckily, we all have something similar. Think of the chaos if this was just a car audio board, not a Ford Explorer one.

Jon

Which amp are planning on running the 12 with? I know the Alpine Type-R's are supposed to hit as hard as the JL w6's but with different ohm levels. I would say either go with the JL's or the ALpine. You could also look into the Rockford Punch HX2's, I have three of them and I am very pleased with them. As for the box I would say, either check a local shop or buy a Q-Logic.

Rockford Punch XLC

I just put in a RF XLC 12" powered by a sony Xplod 280 watt amp and i love it. Total damage, 105 for the sub, 190 for the amp, and i screwed the place out of a bandpass box - 85, hehehe. I went to buy the stuff and they had no more regualr boxes so they offered me it for 35 bucks more. I think the amp might not be quite enough juice for the sub but it still bumps like a *****. So i now have a pretty sweet little system. Pioneer cd, Pioneer 5x7's,and listed above. All for about $900. Im happy with it.

Clint

4wheelin, the amp I am going to use will be the MTX which is pushing 400Wx1 in bridged mode. I don't think I am going to be able to get that Type R :( , because it is a 4ohm DVC model, and my amp isn't 2 ohm stable, whch sucks. Unless anyone knows if they have an 8ohm DVC model? I was going to e-mail them, but they don't have an e-mail address on thier site. At least not one that I saw.
The reason why I think my amp will be able to push this 1 12" is because at the local car audio shop, they had 1 Soundstream SPL 12" in a fairly big ported box, hooked up to a Nakamichi (sp?) 50x2 amp, which when bridged in 200 Watts. This setup really pounds!! So, I figure I can keep my MTX amp, and run a realy good sub and get some pretty good bass. Ok, I know this sounds crazy, but I am wanting somehting that looks sweet, like the Alpine and the Infinity, or the 8000, but then again I don't want to sacrifice looks for sound. So I may add the HX2 to my list of JL, Infinity Perfect, MTX 8000, Type R, if there is a 8ohm DVC model. Although, I am looking towards the JL, or the 8000, because I know the JL name, but I have also heard MTX, in my 6000 10" which is great, and my MTX amp, which too is great.And, at http://www.tmselectronics.com they are the same price, so, please let me know about this guys, thanks.

And Jon, you may be flooding us with information, but that is not a bad thing here, it is great for all of us. Oh, do you have a job in car audio? If you need some sort of reference on your application, let me know, I'll throw in some good words for ya, lol.

You can wire the HX2's up in a single 4 ohm load but I am not sure about the W6 because it's 6 ohms. The MTX is really good too, plus then you get some capatability (sp?) because MTX subs were made to run off an MTX amp. If you are going for something that looks good and pounds then I would say either the MTX first then the Alpine and then the Infinity.

I forgot about the whole 6ohm thing on the JL's,. and those have DVC right? So that would be, in parallel, 3 ohms, thats a weird impedance, isn't it? Do you tihnk my amp could handle that? It is a RT2000X. But, I guess I will probably end up going with the Thunder 8000, since it is an MTX as well as the amp is, it looks cool, and it is a SVC and my amp can handle the 4 ohm impedance. But...would I be better off trying to find a good dual 8ohm sub, or should I go with a single 4ohm? Which would sound better, and hit harder?

Also, my 1 10" in the rear compartment makes the sides rattle like crazy, so I am guessing the 12" will make it even worse, any one found a cure for this? Should I just get some dynamat and apply it to both the rear interior quarter panels? Any spray stuff good out there? The spray stuff may also help me rid the leak that I have back on the driver's side, I would just have to mask the window off real good. Well...thanks for any help.

Rock--I was talking to Riffman, and I believe he's had or a friend has the 8000's and was disappointed in the distortion. I can't pinpoint the amp they were using but we've talked lots of audio crap and he knows what is good and not...I dont totally under how ya wanna run the amp...if it's 400x1 at 4ohms and ya get 1 4ohm sub, you're fine...plus I just looked at alpines site, the Type R is both in 4ohm http://www.alpine1.com/html/swr_1240.html and they also make it in a DVC model http://www.alpine1.com/html/swr_1240d.html So there would be a way to run what ya want....If ya couldnt tell, I'm pluggin for Alpine...Love their equipment!
As for the sound deadning...the sides in my truck have one layer of dynamat and the rear gate is 2 layers of dynamat and a layer of cardboard...That's right, cardboard....It's really good and I took some boxes from work...And there is only a rattle from the rear handle, but I need a new one...It's worn out...Hope this helps!
Pete

I am pretty sure you could wire 2 DVC subs each with 4ohm voice coils to get a 4 ohm load into one channel. You could wire the 4 ohm DVC's in series to get an 8ohm load for each woofer. Then wire each woofer in parallel to get a 4 ohm load into one channel. That way if you got 2 subs and kept your amp you could get 200 watts to each sub. I think the alpines handle somwhere around 300 watts RMS so you would be under powering them a little. Just an idea.

I have a JL 10W6 in a stealthbox powered by an Xtant 3300x amp. It is a dual voicecoil sub, so we wired the coils in parallel to achieve a three ohm load. As long as your amp is stable down to two ohms, you'll be fine. I really like this sub; it's very tight and accurate without being boomy. However, the Infinity Perfects are really supposed to be incredible. Unfortunately, I have not been able to hear one, but they are at the top of my upgrade list (hehe, I am never satisfied either). Also, keep in mind that aluminum subs will sound different than conventional subs like the JL. If you can, go and listen to all of them before making up your mind.

peace

Mike

Pete!! Thanks for showing me that, I guess I was only looking at the 1240D, and not just the 1240. Awesome, I just checked it out myself. Also, Pete, thanks for telling me about the 8000. So, 1 layer of Dynamat will do the trick on the sides? Cause thats where the rattling is coming from, and it sounds terrible. So would Dynamat be the way to go, or is there something else out there that is cheaper but just as good. Thanks for the help, again, lol. Oh about the speakers, I sent them to the address you included with the money order, which I think is your home address.

Mike, have you heard the Infinities? I am now going for the Alpine Type R and the Infinity, glad to see I have narrowed it down to 2. I would like to get the JL, but my amp can't take a 2ohm load. But, at 4ohm mono it puts out 400Wx1, and the RMS on the Alpine is 300, and the Infinity is 500, which would be underpowering it a bit. I am going to see if some local places carry the 1240, so that I can hear it and see if thats what I want. But I won't be buying from them, cause most places charge an arm and a leg, and tmselectronics.com has them for $160. Also, Mike, when you run a series, does that double the impedance? Cause, a friend of mine has a connection at a car accessorie place around here called Tennessee Speed Sport, and he has some Audiobahn subs, and they hit hard, but he can get them for $75 a piece, so I could always run each sub in series, and then wire them in parallel like you said, to get a 4ohm load.

Excellent Rock!! - I got an email from home saying they got a package from you, so when I'm home, I'm gonna start playing! Glad to know ya chose the Alpines...I wanna know how they turn out...I've hear people need double...But I just got one layer of dynamat...the cheap kind and it's rattle free! Pictures once it's all done?
Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey rock

Nope, haven't heard them yet, nor the Alpine. Are those Audiobahn's aluminum subs? If they are, those are supposed to be really sweet. And yes, wiring the subs in series doubles the impedance (two four-ohm subs wired in series will give you an eight ohm load).

peace

Mike

Back