Why mark torque converter and drive plate? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why mark torque converter and drive plate?

Reaction score
City, State
`Caneyville kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
Just a quick question. Why do all the manuals for transmission removal say to mark relationship of the torque converter to the drive plate and when reinstalling align marks? How is this possible with a new torque converter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not applicable when installing a new converter. Also just a quick note. Always mark the drive shafts in relation to the yoke. Can save you some headaches.

Your welcome

Always mark the drive shafts in relation to the yoke. Can save you some headaches.

Isn't that an interesting concept? I always thought it was stupid. The whole idea is that the parts are not balanced perfectly, so the factory "somehow" "played with" the shafts to find an acceptable balance orientation. Then everything's good, until someone later makes the mistake of changing the orientation of the shaft/yoke.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. The shafts should be balanced, from the factory, period. If they are balanced, then the orientation is meaningless.

I know about u-joints having to be synced properly, this about balancing. I used to worry about marking yokes when I was younger, I have not bothered with it for 30+ years. If a vibration is created, then something(the shaft) was not balanced properly. Plus the real worry is, if a shaft is out of balance, and there wasn't a vibration before, then you also have the adjacent part out of balance. Meaning the two parts matched their imbalance, and how did that get done, did the factory match up two imbalanced parts? That's the real dilemma, if it's true.

I'm sorry for the rant. I get tired of dumb ideas being spread forever, sometimes I say something.

The TC issue is basically the same thing. It's an assumption that the TC and the drive plate are possibly imbalanced(both), and keeping them mounted the same way keeps the matching balance result. I think the parts should be balanced when new(meaning the factory balanced them), so it should make no difference how it's mounted. If it does make a difference, then the factory put it together with imbalanced parts, and went through some procedure of mating two imbalanced parts. That makes no sense to suggest the factory would do that.

Back