Why switch from AWD to 4WD? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why switch from AWD to 4WD?

The AWD vs 4WD has always troubled me, living in AK... you just can't beat the AWD.. at the same time, low range would be nice for when I'm out in the sticks. [Alaskans who have been up north should get that.. lol] While I would love to do the 4wd mod to free up some HP and give myself more options.. the AWD has proven itself many many times and 4x4 can be a hassle at times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are not freeing up any horsepower by switching to the 4406, if anything your losing more power since the 4406 is a much heavier case.

Gas mileage will be the same front drive shaft, or no front drive shaft, the only thing that might save you a little gas is the 25lbs of drive shaft that your not spinning. The rest of the front end is still live and still takes the same amount of power to turn all of it. Now if you had the CAD front diff from a 95 or 96 you might notice some small gains since the front end would not still all be rotating.

There is also no extra power when the drive shaft is removed, I've made several back to back passes at the track with and without the drive shaft and there was no difference in my times at all. It may feel more powerful because there may be a little tire spin, and the steering will feel lighter.

Lol at some previous posts. Like previously mentioned most folks that have done the conversion do it for the reasons of a little more power, gas mileage and having the ability to see what their ex or mounty can do it 2wd before having to switch 4wd and having the ability to go to 4low to do some wheeling that the low gear helps a lot with. The awd for normal driving and light wheeling would be nice to have not worrying about switching between 2wd and 4wd when the roads are questionable. But some people also like being in control of what they want their vehicle to do.

I agree, I can't speak for the 4406 case, only what I read from people who have done the swap; they report the truck being a lot more responsive. As for having the front DS removed on an AWD, yeah.. it's probably an illusion; the power is still being transfered to the front but it sure is fun. Too bad there's no way to improve apon this AWD case, if there is such room to do so.

I agree, I can't speak for the 4406 case, only what I read from people who have done the swap; they report the truck being a lot more responsive. As for having the front DS removed on an AWD, yeah.. it's probably an illusion; the power is still being transfered to the front but it sure is fun. Too bad there's no way to improve apon this AWD case, if there is such room to do so.

With the front drive shaft removed, no power is going to the front, only the power it takes to spin the chain and the front output of the case, the rest of the power goes to the back tires. And as for the "extra power" after the 4406 I bet it's 95% butt dyno failure. They want the extra power so they feel it. I would be very surprised if there was more than a 1% difference in actual power to the rear wheels between a 4406 in 2wd and a 4404 without the front driveshaft.

then again your talking about a chevy-its a consistent standard of "suck" and "FAIL" pertaining to the entire line of machines created therein :bsnicker:

then again your talking about a chevy-its a consistent standard of "suck" and "FAIL" pertaining to the entire line of machines created therein :bsnicker:

lol

well, I don't think there are any Ford lines that had both 4WD and AWD as options :p:

I lost my AWD yesterday.. so im sitting here reading this all with a tear in my eye. Every winter before this one my 97 AWD was a tank. Now it fishtails and spints out. Meh.

I lost my AWD yesterday.. so im sitting here reading this all with a tear in my eye. Every winter before this one my 97 AWD was a tank. Now it fishtails and spints out. Meh.

you sure the AWD actually "went out"
I know a couple years ago, it had rained in December then of course froze. I was on my way to work, going up a slight hill at maybe 30 mph, and out of nowhere I did a 180 in the middle of the highway and went into the median.
luckily I just smacked into a snow burm so I didn't get stuck lol

I no longer have to worry about a rattling cheap awd case, nor do I have to fight the cv jointed drive shaft issue.

Eric, after going from Awd to a 4406, there would be no turning back for me.
You think that awd is impressive as is, boy you should feel 4wd lo

It will snap your neck:D

I have a 97 awd with summer tires and 4WD with aggressive tires and the awd will go through snow the 4 wd could only wish.

Yesterday I went down an unplowed dirt road with a foot of heavy snow and the awd didn't spin a tire.

I do wish during the summer it could be switched to a 2 wd though. The power and gas mileage would be much better.

I no longer have to worry about a rattling cheap awd case, nor do I have to fight the cv jointed drive shaft issue.

Well the good thing is, w/ the AWD I haven't needed 4 LO. :) I've only used it twice in my life and that's when I got stuck in sand twice. I think for the street use this truck is a hit. No only if ford wasn't turning the explorer into something I don't want to be seen in. :mad:

Well the good thing is, w/ the AWD I haven't needed 4 LO. :) I've only used it twice in my life and that's when I got stuck in sand twice. I think for the street use this truck is a hit. No only if ford wasn't turning the explorer into something I don't want to be seen in. :mad:

definitely agree with you there!
except I could have used 4-Low once... couple winters ago when it rained in December/January and road to my house was an ice rink, and I managed to slide down a hill backwards and into the ditch.

But for all-around the AWD is unbeatable.

and yes... the new Explorer is... :pukeface

you sure the AWD actually "went out"
I know a couple years ago, it had rained in December then of course froze. I was on my way to work, going up a slight hill at maybe 30 mph, and out of nowhere I did a 180 in the middle of the highway and went into the median.
luckily I just smacked into a snow burm so I didn't get stuck lol

yeah.. the front wheels arent grabbing at all. its all rear wheel spin.

I think Eric has a Bronco as well so I don't think he's hurting for the 4x4 mode. I know my Bronco has quickly surpassed my Explorer for any and all trail use in my book. But a lot of that simply has to do with almost 10-12 inches more ground clearance. That and I'll be moving up to 35's when my Tax rebate arrives!

I think Eric has a Bronco as well so I don't think he's hurting for the 4x4 mode. I know my Bronco has quickly surpassed my Explorer for any and all trail use in my book. But a lot of that simply has to do with almost 10-12 inches more ground clearance. That and I'll be moving up to 35's when my Tax rebate arrives!

I no longer have the bronco, I got the first mountaineer after it died. And I'm no longer awd, I've ditched it in favor of 2wd. As long as I keep my l/s in good working order it still does fine in the snow.

yeah.. the front wheels arent grabbing at all. its all rear wheel spin.

interesting... with quite a lot of discussion on the VC in a thread I started a while back (School Me (and you?!) On Viscous Couplings (BW4404)) we figured that when the VC failed, you either lost all drive power, or it "locked up" making it act like a true 4WD.
Unless the chain broke, but of course I'm sure that would have been felt and/or heard...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back