Will adding magnaflow cause problems? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will adding magnaflow cause problems?

lihtning

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 base
Just wondering if installing a manga flow catback would cause any adverse effects to an explorer? Wondering about engine or transmission problems? Any input would help. Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cant imagine that it would cause any problems to your engine or transmission. Cat back systems are usually past all engine reading sensors.

There is one thing to consider after you install it, most ECUs these days are learning based and turn to your driving habits. If you want to be on the safe side, figure out how to reset the ECU and it will auto adjust to your new setup and new habits.

Hope that helps.

I was watching one of the gear head programs the other day, and he was adding a Magnaflow system to the ecoboost F-150.

He made a specific point that you need to reprogram the vehicle computer to make the upgrade "compatible" with the new exhaust system. Seemed pretty simple, but I'd look into it if I were you.

I was watching one of the gear head programs the other day, and he was adding a Magnaflow system to the ecoboost F-150.

He made a specific point that you need to reprogram the vehicle computer to make the upgrade "compatible" with the new exhaust system. Seemed pretty simple, but I'd look into it if I were you.

I can confirm this is 100% true. I was at a Ford function and I asked one of the Ford Engineers who told me the biggest improvement to the V6 3.5L naturally aspirated would be exhaust, and not CAI.

But he was very adamant the exhaust would have little or no benefit without a new program.

Anyone have an update on the aftermarket tunes out there?

Anyone knows where to reprogram the ecu ?

to those that are not familiar with this - please go into this with your eyes open - retuning the ecu COULD create issues with your warranty...

yes, the Magnum-Moss act says you are protected, but IF you break down and the dealer says sorry - the tune caused it.... what are you going to do ? let it sit there and hire a lawyer to go to court ?!?

not saying a tune WILL cause any issues, just that you open yourself up to a potential issue... (and this comes from someone who tuned ALL of their vehicles - Audi's, mazdas, fords, etc - other then the two recent ones)

AND on most of my turbo diesels I put Walker BTM mufflers to allow better breathing - tried the no muffler straight pipe and it rattled the neighborhoods windows whenever I left for work :)

and on edit - I too put magnaflow mufflers in place of our Audi's rear "silencers" to get a bit deeper sound, but when I did the center silencer it was horribly loud and put the center silencer back in....

sct doesn't offer an explorer tune yet, but here's one for the flex 3,5:

http://www.sctflash.com/showproducts.php

Tuners will void your warranty. You can return to a stock tune but the dealer can still find evidence that the ECU was reprogrammed. Some dealers are cool about it and as long as the tuner didn't cause the issue they don't care. Obviously if your engine blows up after tune, the tuner is to blame. To me this a big risk to take for marginal benefits.

Back