• Register Today It's free!

Magnaflow Catback installed...

Razziel24

Reaction score
City, State
Guayaquil
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5 V6 Base
Ok, got the Magnaflow Catback from the group buy thread here on this forum, it took 4 weeks to get down here (im in Ecuador) but it was worth the wait...

Heres my initial review...

Its all stainless steel, it looks very well constructed, welds look great, bends are all mandrel, the "Y pipe" its very well designed and better that the OEM, it is a lot less restrictive (the OEM has several points, where the tubes get really narrow, like where the tube meets the rear muffler)... the original its 2.25" and the Magnaflow its 2.50", the whole Magnaflow system weights 40 pounds, versus 62 pounds from the OEM one... the sound its awesome, not too noisy, it has a deep tone that turns into a great growl when you floor it... no cutting and no welding are required.... well here are the pics...

This is the OEM system...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And here we go... the Magnaflow Catback coming out of the box, you can see the welds and the "Y pipe"...

32e192155973072.jpg
9bc7ee155973080.jpg
fdabfb155973085.jpg
f0b588155973090.jpg
b32b58155973094.jpg
a567ad155973099.jpg

Got this paper with a warning.... but nothing has happened so far...

And we started the process... until the OEM catback came off...

Comparing and installing the new one... check on the OEM one, where the tube comes into the final muffler and the point where it comes out... those necks are like 1.50" or 1.75" very restrictive...

b19a8e155974149.jpg
9490a0155974154.jpg
8897d4155974161.jpg
5b322f155974164.jpg
215a6e155974165.jpg
75c35d155974169.jpg
82d646155974171.jpg
72b352155974175.jpg
0de277155974178.jpg
2b0d6a155974182.jpg
6d58c9155974188.jpg
42d352155974192.jpg
df8e54155974197.jpg
6f1c47155974203.jpg

...im loving it :D

Great stuff!!!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to document the install, especially the videos.
I really like the new sound. If they can fix my vibration issue I see myself upgrading the exhaust ASAP.

How does the interior sound compare? Louder? If so, is it obnoxious or just a nice background grumble? All the time or just under acceleration or full throttle?

Thanks again,
Randy

Great stuff!!!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to document the install, especially the videos.
I really like the new sound. If they can fix my vibration issue I see myself upgrading the exhaust ASAP.

How does the interior sound compare? Louder? If so, is it obnoxious or just a nice background grumble? All the time or just under acceleration or full throttle?

Thanks again,
Randy

happy to help.

Well, its a little louder but not obnoxious at all (at least to me), my dad drove her this morning, and he didnt even notice the new sound (hes 79, and very gentle with the throttle anyways)
Ill try to shoot some "inside the ****pit" videos this weekend, but it will all depend on your personal taste.
When you turn on the engine in the morning..... it sounds like shes begging you for some spirited driving.... yes, i know its a truck, but still :rolleyes: , youll get a nice background rumble while cruising.
I dont have a dyno near me, but my "butt byno" tells me that ive got at least 8 or 10 horses more... :p:
Im very happy with the results :D

When you turn on the engine in the morning..... it sounds like shes begging you for some spirited driving.... yes, i know its a truck, but still :rolleyes: , youll get a nice background rumble while cruising.
I dont have a dyno near me, but my "butt byno" tells me that ive got at least 8 or 10 horses more... :p:
Im very happy with the results :D

:)
I do know what you mean. Our other car is an X6, which is a bit of a misfit SUV. In any case, I am always excited to drive it because it is FUN to drive. I'd love to add a bit of that to the Ex, and what you have done is a great start. I know the Ex will never come close to the X but every bit of improvement is worth it.

Bout time and thank you...looking at the pics. The one I have blows chunks!

That sounds sweet. Keep us posted if you find any changes in your mileage, maybe you'll hit 30!

love the pics and vids. the exhaust looks great. that will definitely be on my mod list whenever i get started on the truck.... when you take the video of in-cabin sound, can you also take a video with the camera setup behind the truck facing the liftgate, and do a start-up and rev to hear what it sounds like without wind noise.... that would be great.

love the pics and vids. the exhaust looks great. that will definitely be on my mod list whenever i get started on the truck.... when you take the video of in-cabin sound, can you also take a video with the camera setup behind the truck facing the liftgate, and do a start-up and rev to hear what it sounds like without wind noise.... that would be great.

facing upwards ? This is how i had it...

No, not like that. Take a video with the camera about 5-8 feet away from the back of the truck.

like this picture, but a video...

42d352155974192.jpg

The system looks really nice like any Magnaflow stuff does. As for the factory neck downs being restrictive, dont beleive that. Two pipes at say only 1.5" for arguments sake, at the "neck down" is still way more flow area than this little motor needs. Id buy the system for the look and the mileage, IF it got better mileage, but I wouldnt buy it expecting any gain in performance. I also dont care for my luxury SUV to be any louder. I just came from a 430hp Escalade with a very peppy and throaty sounding V8 so the little sixer isnt going to do much for me in the way of excitement. If it gets good mileage, thats all I ask!

The system looks really nice like any Magnaflow stuff does. As for the factory neck downs being restrictive, dont beleive that. Two pipes at say only 1.5" for arguments sake, at the "neck down" is still way more flow area than this little motor needs. Id buy the system for the look and the mileage, IF it got better mileage, but I wouldnt buy it expecting any gain in performance. I also dont care for my luxury SUV to be any louder. I just came from a 430hp Escalade with a very peppy and throaty sounding V8 so the little sixer isnt going to do much for me in the way of excitement. If it gets good mileage, thats all I ask!

I ordered mine yesterday along with a K&N filter. Once it's together, I'll give an update for my mileage. I've been averaging right around 20 MPG with my everyday driving, and between 21 and 22 on the Highway.

Dangit....is it Thursday yet? That's when mine is supposed to be delivered!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bigger tips look better,
congratulations.jpg
but I think they are on the short side. I also would have spray painted the Y pipe with black VHT before install. I'm painting the Y pipes leading to the single cat. Strange, they painted the mufflers black, yet the Y pipe is unpainted, and you can see it a mile away!
iconduckenmd5.gif

xmagnaflow2.jpg

Back