Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

Yes! I'll take the downpipes and crossover. I don't want to pay for that custom work though.

I see a spot install a simple "H" pipe in the stock downpipes. That will help keep the sound down to a decent level and increase power. They say an H pipe is an adder of 7-12hp, more torque in the low to middle rpm ranges, smoother exhaust sound and reduced resonance. That keeps with my goals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes! I'll take the downpipes and crossover. I don't want to pay for that custom work though.

I see a spot install a simple "H" pipe in the stock downpipes. That will help keep the sound down to a decent level and increase power. They say an H pipe is an adder of 7-12hp, more torque in the low to middle rpm ranges, smoother exhaust sound and reduced resonance. That keeps with my goals.

If you take both pipes out one side, then H could be a nice choice. If you go out on both sides x seems to be better due to unequal lengths

I recall that down pipe of your new cat pipe. I was under mine today doing the oil/filter again, and I remember how poor the OEM down pipe is. Ford made a 2.25" pipe curve sharply three times to bend around the pinion and get under the trans. I would have bet a 2.5" straight pipe would go in there and just clear. You did that, you took out all three bends there, I like it. I'm going to place my merge collector about where you have that new pipe joint to the old one.

I'm going to have to rebuild an AWD TC for my 6R80 trans, so I think I'll replace the pinion flange at the same time, and make it a CV joint. The later Fords all use double CV joint front shafts, which I was told should eliminate any vibrations. I've had a Spicer companion flange ordered since last April, they aren't making some parts at all these days.

I recall that down pipe of your new cat pipe. I was under mine today doing the oil/filter again, and I remember how poor the OEM down pipe is. Ford made a 2.25" pipe curve sharply three times to bend around the pinion and get under the trans. I would have bet a 2.5" straight pipe would go in there and just clear. You did that, you took out all three bends there, I like it. I'm going to place my merge collector about where you have that new pipe joint to the old one.

I'm going to have to rebuild an AWD TC for my 6R80 trans, so I think I'll replace the pinion flange at the same time, and make it a CV joint. The later Fords all use double CV joint front shafts, which I was told should eliminate any vibrations. I've had a Spicer companion flange ordered since last April, they aren't making some parts at all these days.
I was really happy with their work on the exhaust. Worth every penny IMHO

I looked around for a dyno shop. Then I did a search for Desktop Dyno and found there is a Version 5 now that will work with windows 10 and 11.

I chose the Laptop method. I input my engine bored .040, GT40P Head flow, 9.1 CR, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Explorer Camshaft, and my exhaust. I played with DD2000 and 2003 in the past and it helped me decide to go with a stock or close to stock cam for daily driving a heavy X, F150, or Bronco.. The new version won't load old files but will at least load .cam files of which I saved a bunch.

This is about where she is at with 7.5lbs of boost:
View attachment 446939

This is the same but for swapping-in a favorite old cam:
View attachment 446942

That's is more power than the exhaust can handle.

Perhaps in a couple years, still at 7.5lbs but with Comps Blower cam and higher flowing exhaust:
View attachment 446963
Current Build7.5lbs GT40X Cam
7.5 lbs X GT40 Cam.jpg

Bigger Exhaust 7lbs and Camp magnum 206 206

7lbs Comp Magnum 206 206 Table .jpg

The "Wheel" numbers are high, based on a two wheel drive.

I got two new O2 Sensors installed and cut the 3" tailpipe off tonight. I am hoping the new sensors will read closer to each other. The ole crinkle bent, tailpipe was more like 2.75" and restrictive.

I am expecting a small gain, maybe not noticeable. It should be noticeable when I get the two 2-1/2's Spintech's on. I am going to record it as I make progress.

I used twin spintech and a x pipe in the 07 ranger l,
My exhaust setup is a bit different I ran the pipes and x pipe more vertical
I’ll get some pics

Cool!

I was out today, We found and purchased a little, 12'6", 750lb GVWR tear drop camp trailer. We bought it to pull behind ole Red which ran great today! We rolled 100 miles out and got back with the little camper this evening.

The mufflers showed-up today and are needed. It was noisy driving today when under load at higher rpm with cats, chamber muffler, no tail pipe and no turn down. I may end-up wanting tail pipes!

I hope to get the mufflers on soon as we would like to desert camp before Thanksgiving.

171_121951_140000001-jpg.jpg
171_311846_470000001-jpg.jpg
171_311842_260000002-jpg.jpg

f527f8a2-88d1-4002-8b3a-91e87db028c2-jpeg.jpg
dd837b5b-b507-4a2a-b2ab-16758f1ef7cf-jpeg.jpg

It’s a ranger but wanted to show you the exhaust setup it is more compact mounted this way. The spintech sound so good, I love the fact you can just weld them together

171_121951_140000002-jpg.jpg

Nice, and who makes that X-pipe? That's the best one I've ever seen, most are poorly designed and/or made. The joint should not be more restrictive than the simple H-pipe old school type. That's why I planned to not do an X-pipe again, I installed one in 1997 in my Lincoln and in hand I was not impressed with the very tight bends.

Odd thought too, my idea of a cross over;
I need a one into two pipe union, 1-2 or 2-1, same thing, all three pipes must be parallel. I want to split a 2.5" pipe into two 2.25" pipes. I'll run the two banks into those, then the four into two mufflers. Split the banks and run half of each into each muffler, that splits it evenly half/half, and has virtually no restriction. It may be virtually useless, an effect of power so small you cannot measure it. But I like the idea of an even split, while also slowing the exhaust ahead of the mufflers. That may result in less turbulence going through the mufflers.

171_121954_440000000-jpg.jpg
I think it’s a magnaflow but I will check it came from summit and fits perfectly

Yep
Magnaflow 2.25” x pipe

Excellent, it looks better close up too. The two main halves are shaped with smooth contours, that should have relatively nice flow throughout(less abrupt airflow). That's a great choice for two pipes running close together.

View attachment 447137I think it’s a magnaflow but I will check it came from summit and fits perfectly
Yep
Magnaflow 2.25” x pipe

Thanks! Nice work!

I want that X pipe in 2 1/2"!

I am sticking with stock downs and cats for now. It will be spring before I can take-on another project. I can and will make something better based upon your post and Jim's, very cool! I also want a cam swapped-in to take advantage of the large exhaust.

Muffler and Resonators:
muffler.jpg

Patneted.jpg

muffler and resonator.jpg

View attachment 447137I think it’s a magnaflow but I will check it came from summit and fits perfectly

Thanks! Nice work!

I want that X pipe in 2 1/2"!

I am sticking with stock downs and cats for now. It will be spring before I can take-on another project. I can and will make something better based upon your post and Jim's, very cool! I also want a cam swapped-in to take advantage of the large exhaust.

Muffler and Resonators:
View attachment 447224

View attachment 447225

View attachment 447226

They did mine 2.5.

They did mine 2.5.

Yes, 2-1/2" pipes will handle 400HP and 2-1/2" collectors are good behind these headers. That's a big improvement over the stock 2-1/4". Bigger headers with a bit larger collectors are needed over 400HP.

Nice! 2-1/2", Narrow, X pipe, 20.75" long, 4.5" between centers. I think this will fit, got to get some measurements.

sum-643125_w.jpg

That's even better, the smoother the junction section the better.

Yes, the longer junction shorter radius bends = mow flow! Summit Racing makes a 2-1/4 and 2-1/2.

The 3" single lost sound at higher rpm and all you could here was the rush of exhaust. I think was due to it being under sized. It got cut-off today.

This slowed my exhaust work. I mounted my roof rack, cargo box, and bike carrier to our new/used Teardrop Camper. GVWR 850lbs, it's light, will get a 2" lift, taller tires, maybe 15" rims:
Tear Drop.jpg

:) I clamped on the Spintech's and a quick evening run showed improvement. These sound better all the way up to 5,000rpm and it seems to pull a bit better! I'll get more time tomorrow to set-up the resonators and turn downs. I need to see how short I can make the muffler/resonator combo. I'll measure to see what X pipe I will fit, but I think I'll wait on the X for larger downpipe/collectors.

I heard you could run a hole saw through the rear cats without having to beat the whole insides out. I suppose you might get a 2-1/4" hole saw in a 2-1/2 cat.......................I suppose that 2-1/4 hole with remaining cat would provide much more flow............and be tampering with Cats.

I recorded sound but need to edit and compress the files to upload them here.

2-1/2"Dual input chamber muffler with 3" single exit:
Open with 4 Cats:
Spintech's:

Absolutely love that little camper

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Absolutely love that little camper
It's cool, it's got an outdoor kitchen in the back, full size bed inside, and plenty of room to haul gear and bikes. We got tired of loading everything on top of my rig and the decent, but little bed inside.

I got the exhaust all welded-up. It was a bit noisy without the resonators. I added those but still need some good turn down tips. That will push the noise down. The longer better Summit Racing X pipe will fit with the rear cats removed. The shorter X from Magna Flow would fit with the cats. It would be placed in front of the cats. The cats would be moved back the length of the X. I don't know if I will go for more power and therefore don't need the X and 2-1/2" downs/collectors. I am very impressed with the duals and the sound/flow of the mufflers. It pulls harder and you can hear the engine firing/ripping all the way to 5,000rpm!!! The old 3" only sounded like a huge rush of air and lost it's tone at higher RPM.

I'll get the exhaust recording edited today and posted. This ain't happening without lowering the resolution of my recordings and I am having a hard time doing it.

Back