Kenne Bell Explorer Phase 2 build begins!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kenne Bell Explorer Phase 2 build begins!!!

I finally got off of my lazy butt and started tearing KBX down for its phase 2 stage of mods I have planned for it. I took a vid but way too busy/lazy to post it. The whole front end and hood are pretty much torn off and I just dropped the radiator out. I should be pulling the engine tomorrow if my schedule allows. A lot of interesting things going on with this stage of mods. After this stage of mods are completed I should be able to lay down some pretty respectable power finally; along with some good ET's in the 1/4 mile.

So far the additional mods that are sitting in my garage are:

*VT built 4.6 Billet shortblock
*Kenne Bell 8 rib swap kit w/ 2.75" snout pulley
*KB 8.5" crank pulley (20psi boost)
*New adapted fenderwell CAI fabbed by yours truly (very custom)
*Steeda billet fuel rails w/ -8AN crossover
*JBA headers
*Meziere electric water pump WP347
*Meziere wiring kit
*SD 60 lb/hr injectors
*SCT BA2800 MAS (swapping from my existing BA2400)
*Art Carr 4R70W tranny w/ 3200 stall TC built to withstand 900 hp. I am sure the swap from the 5R to the standalone 4R will be fun.
*8 bolt flywheel
*SN-197 Tranny K-member adapter for 4R70W
*Dual Ford GT (supercar) fuel pumps
*Dual -8AN fuel lines
*Aeromotive A-1000 FPR
*-6AN return line
*Baumann TMU for 4R70W
*4R70W tranny wiring harness

*Custom driveshaft (after new tranny is in)

Anyways in the list of mods I am probably forgetting something in one of the lists. Should be fun. Hopefully I can get it to 600 within the next few months if things go well (money+time). I love doing all the work on my own truck and all, but I kind of wish I could snap my fingers and have it done. Along with the power mods I am also going to be going with a chrome accented Black and Ford blue theme under the hood. The valve covers will get the Ford blue along with the billet rails which already are blue along with the elec fan. Depending on price I might take my PA perf. alternator I been running and have it powdercoated blue also. Well I have yapped for long enough in here tonight. Good night.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Impressive. I want to know how it turns out. Will the mustang transmission cross member bolt into the explorer?

That's going to be one bad ass Explorer. 600HP... that will be fun!!!

All I have to say it WOW! :eek:

Very nice :D

V8BoatBuilder said:
Impressive. I want to know how it turns out. Will the mustang transmission cross member bolt into the explorer?

The 05+ Mustang's and 02+ Explorer's are based off of the same chassis so while it may not prove to be a direct bolt on, it will at least be closer than whats in there now.

Nice!

rocket 5979 said:
I finally got off of my lazy butt and started tearing KBX down for its phase 2 stage of mods I have planned for it. I took a vid but way too busy/lazy to post it. The whole front end and hood are pretty much torn off and I just dropped the radiator out. I should be pulling the engine tomorrow if my schedule allows. A lot of interesting things going on with this stage of mods. After this stage of mods are completed I should be able to lay down some pretty respectable power finally; along with some good ET's in the 1/4 mile.

So far the additional mods that are sitting in my garage are:

*VT built 4.6 Billet shortblock
*Kenne Bell 8 rib swap kit w/ 2.75" snout pulley (17 psi)
Swapping to 8.5" crankover pulley in a few months (20psi)
*New adapted fenderwell CAI fabbed by yours truly (very custom)
*Steeda billet fuel rails w' 8 AN crossover
*JBA headers
*Meziere electric water pump WP347
*Meziere wiring kit
*SD 60 lb/hr injectors
*SCT BA2800 MAS (swapping from my existing BA2400)

Already on order:

*Art Carr 4R70W tranny w/ 3200 stall TC built to withstand 900 hp. I am sure the swap from the 5R to the standalone 4R will be fun.
*8 bolt flywheel
*SN-197 Tranny K-member for 4R70W
*Dual Ford GT pumps from Liberty Ford
*Dual 8 AN fuel lines

Mods to be ordered soon:

Baumann TMU for 4R70W
4R70W tranny wiring harness
Custom driveshaft (after new tranny is in)

Anyways in the list of mods I am probably forgetting something in one of the lists. Should be fun. Hopefully I can get it to 600 within the next few months if things go well (money+time). I love doing all the work on my own truck and all, but I kind of wish I could snap my fingers and have it done. Along with the power mods I am also going to be going with a chrome accented Black and Ford blue theme under the hood. The valve covers will get the Ford blue along with the billet rails which already are blue along with the elec fan. Depending on price I might take my PA perf. alternator I been running and have it powdercoated blue also. Well I have yapped for long enough in here tonight. Good night.

can I ride in it after your done?

Jakee said:
can I ride in it after your done?

If you come up here and pay for the gas, then yes.

Oh BTW. I had a fun day wrestling with different things pulling the engine. Ended up finally getting it out a few hours ago. I am ready for bed. Tomorrow I will start the tear down of the stock engine so I can get the accessories, heads, front engine cover and so on to put on the built shortblock.

rocket 5979 said:
If you come up here and pay for the gas, then yes.

Oh BTW. I had a fun day wrestling with different things pulling the engine. Ended up finally getting it out a few hours ago. I am ready for bed. Tomorrow I will start the tear down of the stock engine so I can get the accessories, heads, front engine cover and so on to put on the built shortblock.

I'll have to settle for a video, then I could pretend. Good luck to you. Are you doing this all yourself?

How close are you to Bloomington?

Jakee said:
I'll have to settle for a video, then I could pretend. Good luck to you. Are you doing this all yourself?

How close are you to Bloomington?

Doing a majority of it myself. Some of my friends have stopped over to help out. We pulled the engine last night and got it on the stand. Now just got to tear it down and salvage the parts that will cross over to the billet race engine.

rocket 5979 said:
Doing a majority of it myself. Some of my friends have stopped over to help out. We pulled the engine last night and got it on the stand. Now just got to tear it down and salvage the parts that will cross over to the billet race engine.

Well, I'm watching this thread. Very interesting to see an explorer with 600+RWHP. I'd be happy with a third of that. Looks like if you pull this off you'll be setting the history books. I only hope you don't break the car in half. Are you doing the roll bars?

FROADER said:
Jakee,

Check out the 3 links in the first post of this thread.

Yeah - I've seen them. Actually these were some of the first vids I saw of an explorer that actually impressed and inspired me.

Then....I saw the Troll video. Scary fast.....

Jakee said:
Well, I'm watching this thread. Very interesting to see an explorer with 600+RWHP. I'd be happy with a third of that. Looks like if you pull this off you'll be setting the history books. I only hope you don't break the car in half. Are you doing the roll bars?

It is just a matter of when I pull it off. Nothing really too special about this build. I mean it is in a an Explorer, but 2 valve modular 4.6's have been built for more than this much horsepower before. When it is done this time KBX will be making videos that will make Troll think twice. Bill and Dan better hurry up with that turbo in the Troll.

The great thing about these new gen Explorers is the new chassis design. 350% more tortionally rigid than older model Explorers and SN-95 Mustangs. This more rigid frame leads to a more repeatably tunabel suspension and also the keeping the power where it belongs, which is to the pavement.

I do not plan to do roll bars yet. If I decide to go big with this and slap a turbo on in the next few years then I will go with a cage. For now I will be content to get booted from a track or two.

Black Magic said:
What'cha doing with the old block?

Hmmm...

My buddy and I plan to rebuild it and keep it for a spare in case one of ours crap the bed. He has a 700rwhp 01 Cobra and I plan to have a 700rwhp Explorer by next year if I can afford it. I might just keep the 5R55W as a spare for the LS in case I kill the 5R55S tranny in it.

TarHeel085 said:
sweet dude, thats gunna be awesome!! so are you SAS'in the rear, or just hopin the CV's will hold? :p

SAS w/ 4 link comes next year. For now it will be on the stock rear diff and axles. I don't expect to get many passes down the track without the stock diff puking it guts out though. I won't be running slicks till late next year so at least that will help prolong the stock rear's life a tad more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back