Wiring questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring questions

I have 2 55w lights on my truck(aftermarket), made my own wiring. It is a on/off switch that is not illuminated. The switch is mounted on a metal rod under the dash.

1. Does this switch need to be grounded also?
2. Is there supposed to be a wire from the battery to the switch? I didnt put a relay on it but thinking I should.

Let me know experts.....counting on you...:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you should put a relay into the circuit. If the switch isn't lit, you should just need 3 sets of wires: Power/Ground to the relay, relay +/- to the switch, and Power/Grounds to the lights. Usually an unlit switch doesn't need a separate ground.

Don't forget the fuse!

Here's a diagram for wiring with a relay and a lit switch. If you don't have a lit switch, then disregard the ground wire to the switch.
Dead Link Removed

If the switch is not lighted, then it does not need a ground. There shouldn't even be a place for one on the switch. With 55W lights, you should probably run a relay. Without one, you'll need to run a power wire from the battery to the switch. The other wire leaving the switch will connect straight to the positive side of the lights.

With a relay:
Tap a power wire from anything in the truck that has power when you want the lights to be on (radio, ignition, whatever) and run it into the switch.
Run a wire from the other terminal on the switch to the "turn on" terminal on the relay.
Run a wire from the battery to the "12V In" terminal on the relay.
Ground the relay on its "Ground" terminal.
Run a wire from the "12V Out" terminal on the relay to the positive on the lights.

The relay package should have a diagram for you to follow as well.

:usa: :chug: :ca:

Just to restate what Alec had to say.

Yes always use a relay on high amperage accessories and always fuse at the battery for the power.

The switch is only to control the relay, the relay controls the high amp draw/power from the battery.

OK I have a question. Is there any way to make some sort of mount that all accessory items could be attached to? Something that has a + side that runs directly to the battery and a - side that is grounded or what ever. That way there is somewhere other than the hard-to-add-to battery terminal that lights, horns etc could connect to.

OH yeah, can lights like KC daylighters or PIAA be hooked up to a remote switch (like you can get from Autozone) or do they have to be wired to an on-off switch in the dash?

Back