Won't hold 2nd, drops to 1st, back to 2nd. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't hold 2nd, drops to 1st, back to 2nd.

DSLaBuda

Reaction score
City, State
NW Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Hey all,

I've been searching/lurking on this forum for a little while now, mostly trying to see if anyone else has had this problem (and any fixes).

Background: We have a 1998 Explorer xlt 4wd with the 4.0 ohv motor, it has around 140k on it. We've had it about 2 years (put about 40k on it since). It's the first newer Ford to be parked in a predominately GM driveway (unless you count my 67 Fairlane). I bought the X from my brother-in-law who is **** retentive about his vehicle maintenance.

It developed this problem a short time ago: From a standing start, it's starts out in 1st gear just fine. It will shift into second, but only hold it for 1-2 seconds and then dump back into first gear (at least it feels like that). The engine revs up to the pre-2nd gear shift point where it will hold for a few seconds (5-10) before flopping (best term I can think of) back into second gear. It then shifts fine throughout the range, until it comes to a complete stop and the process starts all over again. It feels like the trans can't hold second gear and then grabs it. When it shifts back into second, it doesn't shift hard--just feels like a lazy shift. A little slower than it shifts normally--I'm basing this off the way it shifted before and my buddy's 2001 sport.

Also, when it drops back into first gear if you completely release the throttle or give it minimal throttle it seems like it gets back into second faster. Also, it does the 1-2-1 dance whether you start easy or do a jackrabbit start. I don't believe this is the 2-3 shift flare problem that's often talked about here, but I could be wrong. Does that issue ever affect the other gears? 1-2 shift? Also the trans shifts into overdrive just fine like it always has (I know it uses od for second). The fluid is red and doesn't smell burnt btw.

Any suggestions? Anything to check? The g/f loves this truck & I'd like to keep it around for her. I'm usually pretty good with most things mechanical (worked 9 years in a parts store/auto shop before going to the rr) but i'm a little behind when it comes to the voodoo science of automatics (other 3 vehicles are manuals). I got the general concept down but I'd still prefer a assembly manual before I tear too far into one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Dan

Additional information I missed (may or may not be relevant): There are no fluid leaks or spots, and the fluid is at the proper level. I've never had a flashing od light, although the check engine came on recently for bad o2 sensors (going on this weekend)

This truck is completely stock mechanically. The only repairs I've had to make to it were front hub bearings and an alternator & battery,

Accidental double post.

Back