• Register Today It's free!

01 engine failure

bikeguy18

Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' EB 4dr 4wd
My friend has got an 01 sport trac with 67,000 mi on it and the engine failed on him while driving to work this morning. Says it just shut off while he was going down the road. Tried to start it again once he came to a stop and nothing, just some clicking (starter relay I guess). At this point I'm thinking alternator failed and killed the battery. Somebody tried to give him a jump but that didn't do it either. He had it towed to a shop and the mechanic tested the alternator - good, battery - good, starter - good. Eventually got it to turn over and said it sounded like a bag of quarters in a dryer. Now he's telling my friend he needs a re-built engine because something "low" in the engine broke, obviously a fluke at such low milage. So, I'm wondering what "low in the engine" thing could break and cause this trouble. He says the engine was fine up to this point, no rattling, pinging or stalling. What happens when the Cam Cassette Tensioners fail? I know there was a problem with them, TSB 4-15-4. Any other ideas on what could have failed? To have to put a rebuild in at 67,000 miles is just over the top.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 01 Sport with exactly 67,000. Man, I am scared.

Oh Hell, Mine's at 63,000.

hmm... well if enough motors fail, you guys might get lucky and there wil be a recall. you'll still be missing your truck for a little over aweek. sohc long block + install = 4300sih + tax

mynameisaric said:
hmm... well if enough motors fail, you guys might get lucky and there wil be a recall. you'll still be missing your truck for a little over aweek. sohc long block + install = 4300sih + tax
That will never happen as It's not saftey related.
The 01/job1 tracs had tons of timing chain problems, most alot sooner than your buddys and fixed under warranty.
My daddy always told me:never buy a first year production car, he was correct.
I bought an 01, sold that POS after 60 days and waited till 03 to get another.
Wanna hear a real sad story? is a guy on the sporttrac forums, bought an 07 V8, 800 miles, engine went south, ford installed a brand new engine.
100 miles on the new engine, and it looks like he will be getting a 3rd new engine, sad but true.

Engine Failure

At 34,000 miles, my 2002 Sport Trac started running rough like it was going to stall and I was fortuntate to get it to the dealer. When they checked it out they found that the nozzle from the fuel injector was sucked into the engine and they had to give me a new engine because it was under warranty.

I have a 2001, Just bought it 5 months ago, It has 71,000 miles on it, Ran great for the first two months, All I put into it for inspection was a ball joint !!
LOOKOUT... Now, It has stauled in the mornings.. Go out to a cold truck after I ran out and started it ten minutes prior.. : Over drive on/off light keeps blinking on and off spontaniously.. : And it makes a huge reving noise half the time, Like I have to floor it to get power, and then it slips, The RPM's go off scale, But the truck get's no gas?! No warrenty... I cancled cause it was 3 grand.. Man am I screwed !!

Back