01 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L. Need Advice for my Jungle Medicine Fix... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L. Need Advice for my Jungle Medicine Fix...

EagleAl

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT 4.0L SOHC 4D 4WD
VIN: 1FMDU73E01ZA80964. Smacked some rocks while hunting. Bent the S* out of Crossmember (F87Z-6A023-BA). Went to larger tires, but no lift. Crossmember & covers installed, then had it aligned. 1st trip around ranch (on fairly good roads) to check & bait hog traps, I hit a rock which I should have easily cleared. Heard rubbing in Ft Left Tire well, stopped to inspect and body was sitting on Ft L Tire. Limped back to camp and saw that the Left Torsion Bar Rear Adjuster or Key was hanging down, so all vehicle weight which TB normally supports, was almost sitting on Ft L Tire. Looking closer, it appeared to me that the Adjuster and Bolt which support the TB Key were missing. See Pic 1.
yPmB8mtrSmmX2dMlSEumbA.jpg
Once I removed tire, I was able to see the TB Key hanging loose (Pic 2).
image.png

Of course, I was guiding guests on this hunt, so I needed to perform my best Jungle Medicine.
Bhy6CZlbSdemEYk2Zfrucg.jpg

Seeing a hole in the crossmember which should be supporting the TB Key, I searched for a remedy.
HrFJrxFHSxSaIuwfQNozjg.jpg

Ultimately I found two 9/16" Iron Rods w 90* bends and, after much praying and jacking, I was able to fit them both in the hole to support the TB Key. Amazingly, this worked for the remainder of the 4 day weekend hunt. In true Redneck thinking, I started to use baling wire to secure these rods in place, but ultimately decided it was not strong enough, and looked around for a better option. Hose Clamps! (What is not shown are the automotive hose clamps I used on each side to secure these rods together and in place).

Now, my issue is that I'd like to replace the missing adjuster bar and bolt, so that the TB can be properly held and my camber readjusted.
I cannot find the ford part number or a diagram with it, so I'm turning to those folks much wiser that me.
Anybody got a good idea or source? Thanks in advance for both your wisdom and reading this rather long post. -- Big Al (Eagle Al)

Your going to have to replace that bracket on the frame or weld a part to it. Also ,it looks like the skid plates are missing or did you have to remove them to perform your "jungle surgery"?

974x4Black Sport, Thanks for your quick reply. The driver side torsion bar cover (left skid plate) was removed both for access and to provide clarity for pics. I shortened the iron rods and re-secured them with Stainless hose clamps to hold the TB key in place. Here are 2 pics: the first shows the parts I'm missing, and the 2nd shows the final jungle medicine fix. I only use this '01 Explorer 4x4 to get around my hunting area, but I still think I'll have my mechanic inspect it and check the alignment again. I had it aligned, trailered it to my camp, and apparently lost the TB adjustment piece and the adjusting bolt. I have to wonder if, in an effort to adjust the camber due the the larger tires, the bolt was out so far that it fell out. I don't see any evidence of it having been sheared off. I'm hoping that since the hex end of the TB didn't appear to change, that my re-securing it to the frame cross-member restored it to it's correct adjustment position. The larger tires gave me about 1-1/2" more frame clearance, so I hope I've avoided the need to do any sort of TT and needlessly stress the CV joints.
I'd appreciate any other thoughts or recommendations you might have. Thanks.
1rtEBCBVRNed78UsH8H7Ow.jpg
huvN4p7LRUqPEgw74LgwvA.jpg

Back