02 4x4 V8 Eddie Bauer Jerking in Drivetrain | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 4x4 V8 Eddie Bauer Jerking in Drivetrain

99 4x4 jerking in drivetrain

I to have jerking in my 99 explorer 4x4 AWD. I sounds like the drive shaft oe rear end. I have had the front drive shat and Transfer case rebuilt. They have looked at the rear drive shaft and Differencial and they are fine? I have disconnected the wires from the transfer case, unplugged the 4x4 modual and took the fuse out of the ABS. I do not have limited slip differencial.

The jerking (knocking) started between 30 and 50 MPH. It then spread to above 70 MPH and now does it at as low as 10 MPH. If I let of the gas the jerking goes away and will happen any time I accellerate and put a load on the drive train, even down hill. I have 130,000 miles on the car. The noise is loud inside the car and sometimes, but not always the car will knock but not feel like it jerks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

interesting to find this post now. mine does something similar, but only on coast/decel. the dealer flashed the comp, and now it only does it every now and then.. and only from higher speeds. i also realized I have slighty different sized tires front/rear (one new set, one half worn set; same brand though)

i'll have to give this a try.

I am having the same exact problem with mine. Mine has been doing the hesitation for about a year, but just over the weekend on a trip to my parents house i decided to put the 4wd on to see if it still skipped and jerked when i accelerated hard. Sure enough it did NOT do it. What test with it in 4x4 high is i noticed when i started to need a little more power (when i had the cruise set) it sounded like a loud humming/vibrating noise near the floor boards, like the 4wd was kicking in.
I have an appt next week with ford and i'm going to see if they'll just throw a new one in to see if that makes it stop, and if it does i'll have them replace it.
Problem is fairly intermittent, but i can always duplicate it. Seems to do it more once the truck is warmed up as well. Thanks for posting this.... I hate to say but i have had dreams that this problem has been fixed..then i wake up lol I'll let ya'll know how i make out next week.

Jay
03 Explorer XLT

I can't say this is my exact problem, but disconnecting the t case fixed it 100%.

Not sure what I am going to do, now that I am out of WI I have 0 need for 4wd, and have been thinking of ways to just permanently disable all of it, instead of replacing parts I don't want anymore.

here in the good ole northeast i'm gonna need it in about 2 mos. but good idea if you're in a area u don't need the 4x4.

jerking in engine

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT AWD. Mine is also jerking pertty bad at all times driving. There are times when I am not sure it will continue to run it jerks so bad. I am wondering if I have a 4x4 module as stated here? I never have to engage or disengage the 4X4. thanks any help is greatly appreciated!

I have a 2002 Explorer Limited V8 myself...ever since ive had it hasnt ran right either. I'm experiencing the same symptoms with the "fast pulsing" feeling during acceleration and from what i hear its the 4x4 control module...my problem is my transmission also has a delay shift and sometimes O/D wont stay in with any change in the road. Also i have gotten the awesome blinking O/D light now that goes away with restarting the vehicle but just yesterday my check engine light has come on now simultaniously with the O/D blinking light, i will get the code this afternoon....But correct me if I am wrong any experts, i am having multiple problems 1 with the transmission and the other with the 4X4 control module, will check with 4x4 unplugged. Sorry for the long post!

hi guys,
i know this post is quite old but my 2005 xlt has the same problem. searching for a 4x4 module i got the information: Thank you for sending us your VIN. You have a 2005 Explorer and it has a 2-speed transfer case. This vehicle is does Not use a control module for 4x4 operation

so, what can i do to solve the problem?

thx for your help!

greetings from germany

Welcome aboard fokker. 2004 and 2005 models of Gen III Explorers did not use 4X4 module. That function was moved to the PCM. There were far fewer problems with the auto 4X4 system after that change was made.

I suggest you start a new thread and describe your problem exactly rather than expect folks to read thru an old 2-page thread trying to figure out what your issue is. That's just intended as a suggestion, not critism. Good luck!

just an fyi there was a tsb for this problem for the 02-03 here a copy paste

TSB
05-21-4 SHUDDER IN 2ND AND 3RD GEAR ON ACCELERATION - 4X4 VEHICLES WITHOUT ADVANCETRAC

Publication Date: October 5, 2005

FORD: 2002-2003 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2003 Explorer 4X4 vehicles without AdvanceTrac (Interactive Vehicle Dynamics - IVD) equipped with an automatic transmission may exhibit a shudder in 2nd and 3rd gear on acceleration. This condition may be more pronounced when the vehicle is under load.

ACTION:
Replace the 4X4 control module following the procedure in Workshop Manual Section 308-07A. Refer to the Part Application Table for the correct part number to install.

Back