• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer hitch question

plumber1

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EXPLORER
just purchased this vehical and someone took off the hitch. my bumper has the cut out for the hitch and was wondering who manufactures the hitches for ford and if any good suggestions for an aftermarket manufactures,im guessing the reeese looks like the one that is stock but thats why i'm posting. i know mine uses a class iii also any suggestion on a good web site for cost of there im seeing 190-280 range depending on who makes it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Class II on mine and want to put a III on it, such a waste to me to have a Class II.

I am gonna call a junk yard to get a III to replace it.

Soooo, are you looking to buy one? Class 3, is that the 1.25" or 2"? I have one (1.25) sitting in storage if you need it, from an 03 XLT. It has a couple small holes that were used as grounding points, but it's never been used to tow anything...

I have a class III 2" curts hitch on my 06 I'm taking off..should fit 02 and up

The manufacturer of your stock hitch is Ford. Reese makes most OEM style hitches to fit your needs. My explorer had a class II and I poped on a Reese class III that added additional support bars behind the bumper from frame rail to frame rail, looks OEM until you look behind the bumper.

I would be interested in buying a Class III RECIEVER Hitch. I want to use the 2" ball mounts I have.

Any one interested in a Class II off my 02? maybe a little trade or something? What price are we talking about?

Better yet, I'll sell my Class II to Plumber and buy your Class III!! Thats perfect...I think.

just purchased this vehical and someone took off the hitch. my bumper has the cut out for the hitch and was wondering who manufactures the hitches for ford and if any good suggestions for an aftermarket manufactures,im guessing the reeese looks like the one that is stock but thats why i'm posting. i know mine uses a class iii also any suggestion on a good web site for cost of there im seeing 190-280 range depending on who makes it

just to be sure, there is nothing back there????
That could be bad as the hitch is suppose to be part of the frame bolts right up. So nothing is holding your frame apart in the back?

So you are saying that you can remove the stock class II and find a stock class III that fits in its place? Is the class II just bolted on?

That would be a much better option than putting a Class III below the Class II like I have seen.

holding the frame apart? the hitch just bolts onto the frame,it's not structual

just to be sure, there is nothing back there????
That could be bad as the hitch is suppose to be part of the frame bolts right up. So nothing is holding your frame apart in the back?

So you are saying that you can remove the stock class II and find a stock class III that fits in its place? Is the class II just bolted on?

That would be a much better option than putting a Class III below the Class II like I have seen.

Yep, they just bolt on and off...I found a ClassIII on ebay I might try to trade a guy out of.

the rear hitch is the bumper behind the plastic skin nothing there no protection.... with no hitch there should still be a piece across there bolted in....

The rear hitch on a 3rd gen, whether class II or III, is very structural. Its the rear cross member, that's why every 3rd has a hitch.

Back