02 Ford Explorer disappearing coolant | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Ford Explorer disappearing coolant

thor0812

Reaction score
The wife's 02 explorer 4.0 flex fuel has started loosing coolant with no obvious signs of a leak. I have checked the oil and spark plugs for signs of coolant and nothing. Ive changed the thermostat housing (that was leaking) and thermostat. it has now gotten to the point that I can fill it with coolant and within 5 miles its overheating. Could it be a bad thermostat sticking shut? If so wheres the coolant going? Just had back surgery so I cant climb around under it but my wife and daughter say they cant see any leaks under it. Could the water pump be bad? I know on the old 302's when the pump would go it would leak out the weep hole but I'm not sure on these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wife's 02 explorer 4.0 flex fuel has started loosing coolant with no obvious signs of a leak. I have checked the oil and spark plugs for signs of coolant and nothing. Ive changed the thermostat housing (that was leaking) and thermostat. it has now gotten to the point that I can fill it with coolant and within 5 miles its overheating. Could it be a bad thermostat sticking shut? If so wheres the coolant going? Just had back surgery so I cant climb around under it but my wife and daughter say they cant see any leaks under it. Could the water pump be bad? I know on the old 302's when the pump would go it would leak out the weep hole but I'm not sure on these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

If it is not leaking anywhere it could be a head gasket leaking into a cylinder.

If it is not leaking anywhere it could be a head gasket leaking into a cylinder.

Checked it. No signs of coolant in oil, on spark plugs, no white smoke and no signs of pressure loss into water tank

Sorry, no solution but I have the same "issue".
'91 Explorer is overheating. I've replaced just about every part- no luck. When it's warm, I open the radiator cap, I can see the coolant go down - where?

Back