02 XLS Lowering for performance, not looks. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 XLS Lowering for performance, not looks.

RyanB

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin Grove, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
I have the stock struts on my explorer that need replaced and one broken coil spring. I'm thinking about getting some drop springs along with some new struts. I've read about the Ground Force, Belltech and Eibach springs. Do any offer better performance and ride quality over the others?

Also, what struts would you recommend to go with the springs? The truck will be on stock wheels. Id like a good ride that can handle corners without too much roll.

Belltech's kit is 2/2.5" drop. Would that be too much? My explorer is 2wd. So that kit would work but I pull a trailer and don't want it to be too low with the trailer attached. Any opinions on that concern?

Ground Force seems ok but I hate that the rear will still be higher than the front. But like I said the main objective is handling, not looks.

So, to the guys with these kits, how does your explorer handle with the stock wheels? I'm not expecting my explorer to handle like a corvette but id like it to feel planted in corners.

Thanks

Back