02 xlt transmission control selenoid problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 xlt transmission control selenoid problem

minzamerc

Reaction score
City, State
Delafield, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT, 99 MOUNT.
I have an 02 explorer xlt with the 4R55W transmission. It has around 80K miles and I started experiencing problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Eventually the ODO light started flashing and the "service engine soon" light came on. The code showed up as a pressure control selenoid problem. I replaced the selenoid block ($300.00), changed the filter and flushed the tranny fluid, but the problem has not gone away. The light has gone back on and it is displaying the same code.

Has anyone experienced this same situation? Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my experience replacement of the solenoid block on the 5R55W has generally stopped the 2-3 flare issue. What numeric code are you getting ?

I prefer to have the numeric code eg. P0745 etc....

I did get the P0745 numeric code, but nothing changed after replacing the selenoid block. I saw on another thread that this code could also mean a broken band. Any thoughts?

I guess when you said problems, I *assumed* flare. What kind of problems specifically?

I read in your other post in the Under the Hood forum (which I closed to make sure all your answers are in one place - and - we dont encourage duplicate threads) that you torqued the VB to 6 ft lbs. Whenever I hear ft lbs used in desribing inch lb torque values (6 ft lbs = 72 inch lbs) I have to wonder if you also used a ft lb torque wrench. Using a ft lb torque wrench on a VB or solenoid block is a NO NO.... they are WAY inaccurate at that low of a setting and the accuracy of the torque in these situations is CRITICAL !! INCH LB TORQUE TORQUE WRENCHES ONLY !!!!!!!

The vehicle will remain in 2nd gear and continue to rev, unless it is traveling at least 25 MPH, and only if I let off the throttle and allow the RPM's to drop down to around 1000. At that point it will shift into 3rd and beyond with no problems. I noticed over the last couple of days that occasionally the car will shift into 3rd on its own, although not very smoothly, but when that happens, the ODO light immediately starts flashing.

The "service engine soon" light remains on, and the code is still P0745

I would guess my next step might be to rebuild the VB, and maybe add a shift kit. I think you may have something hanging up intermittently in the VB.

It turns out it was the servo that pushes on the band for 3rd gear. The bore for the servo in the aluminum case had worn and caused the servo to move and push at the wrong angle on the band and break it. The fix was to machine out the servo bore, sleeve it, re-machine the sleeve and replace the servo and band. I'm told most dealers will just replace the casing.

It cost me $1450.00 at a small shop, but I'm told this is around a $3,000 repair at the dealer or typical transmission shop.

Post the name of that shop. [Assuming for the moment they did what they said...(forgive me I am jaundiced) that was a great deal.] THOSE are the kind of trans shops that deserve exposure as what a trans shop OUGHT TO BE !!! And thanks for the follow up, that kind of info can help others.

I salute that shop!!! :salute:

The truck has been running and shifting fine, and it turns out he replaced all the clutches, which were part of a re-building kit. He also replaced the torque converter, as well as the work mentioned earlier. For those of you in the Milwaukee or Waukesha, WI area, the name of the shop is Jim's Transmission shop 262-968-4890. His shop is nothing fancy but he's been doing it for over 30 years and knows his stuff!!

WOW, a soft parts rebuild AND clutches and some case work for $1450. If I lived within 200 miles of him that is where I'd take MY tranny !

Back