• Register Today It's free!

03 stereo question?

pacman7267

Reaction score
City, State
Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 EB
I've been searching the web all day trying to find a simple answer to this and maybe you guys can help.
I have a 2003 explorer Eddie Bauer edition that has standard AM/FM 6cd changer and no ipod/aux input. I would like one instead of having to change cd's constantly. What i was wondering was if i could take a later model (05/06 maybe) stereo and put it into my 03 and have the input jack that way? and still have the steering wheel controls work with the new stereo?
Hope i explained it alright any help is appreciated! thanks guys

your first problem is that in '03 they used something called 'world plugs' radio side is black connector and starting in '04 for the premium radios they used something called 'PhaseII' those plugs use grey connectors on back of radio. They do sell a World Plugs to Phase II plugs but thats a lot of wire to splice.

Your best bet is to get a PIE adapter (yes they do work, post on those too). For '03 and World plugs i think the part is PIE FRDN-AUX???

I have a post about upgrading an Audiophile sub, it might have some notes that might help you .

Back