03' XLT 4.0, Drivers side valve cover leaking oil... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03' XLT 4.0, Drivers side valve cover leaking oil...

Foo

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4x4, 4.0L!
I just noticed I have a small oil leak from the smell of burnt oil on my exhaust manifold.

It appears to be on the upper rear section of the drivers side valve cover where a sensor/hose plugs in. I initially thought it was the valve cover gasket but it is on up further...it's pretty tight back there so I can't 100% say for certain that is what is leaking but it appears that way.

What sensor is this and what do I need to remove to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pcv valve

Ok, are there any walk-throughs on how to replace that or the part number I need?

I searched for an engine diagram with no luck.

Sadly there are a few different ones, easiest thing to do is remove the one you have (pull the hose off the end of it and twist it out, lefty loosie) and bring it with you to the parts store.

Cool so that's all I have to do?

Just remove the hose and twist off? Awesome. I was thinking about having the pull the valve cover off.

You can use an inspection mirror to view any leakage back there. The PVC valve twists to a snap position, so maybe yours is not fully engaged.

I replaced the valve cover gasket on my 02' 4.0L XLT. Oil would accumulate in that same spot at the rear of the valve cover. The very slow leak was more from sitting than from driving, so if I would drive it on a long trip there was no noticable leakage.

Replacing the valve cover gasket turned out to be pretty easy, but did take some time as I had to remove the intake manifold and some degreasing where I couldn't see additional leaks.

Fortunately, the passenger side valve cover is free of leaks.

Cool so that's all I have to do?

I know this thread is old, but did replacing the PCV Valve solve your problem? I'm having the same issue.

Back