04 Explorer sunroof leak, not drain lines, I think | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer sunroof leak, not drain lines, I think

thinger62

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 7 pass.
I've got an Explorer that leaks often, but not always when it rains. Sometimes it will run down the windshield right in front of the driver (where the headliner fabric is sagging in the photo) and more often it will collect in the dope light/top console and drain out of the drivers side dope light switch into the cupholders below, if I happen to not be going around a corner. I did also notice the other day that the carpet under the drivers feet is wet and I don't think it should have been. After reading many posts on this forum, I started inspecting today. I squirted water into the two front drain holes with a turkey baster. It ran out the exit holds near the bottom door hinges as it should. I noticed the sunroof gasket is worn out on the front left corner. The top and bottom of the gasket are still there, but the center around the corner is gone. When I saw that I closed the sun roof and slowly squirted water on that corner, and it drained as it should, not leaking into the interior. I figure I'll put some calk in that corner to rebuild the center of that gasket, but I don't think that's it. Any thoughts on where to look now? I can't see how a bad windshield seal could get water in the dope light console. Any advice is appreciated. I'm not sure if I can share images on google here, so I posted the links above and hopefully the images below.
view

view

I did some fake door gaskets on an Econoline by putting Vaseline on one side, RTV on the other side, then shut the hole and wait for the silicone to harden. It worked.

I never wanted a hole in my roof so I just siliconed it shut. Don't do it in the sun on a hot day. The caulk hardens too fast to do a nice finish on it with mineral spirits and your finger.

Back