05 Headlight Issue

zach.stov

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Hi all,

Yesterday I went about installing the Error Code Eliminators from DDMTuning.com to pair with my existing DDM Tuning HID lights. I figured the Error Code Eliminators would stop the flickering issue I had when turning on my Explorer with the Auto Lamp feature. If my lights were switched on (auto) and I would start my truck, the lights would flicker and usually only one headlight would come on. Then, I would have to turn off the lights and turn them back on to get both to work.

After installing the Error Code Eliminators I tested the lights (which were working fine before) and I got no light. Parking lamps and brake lights come on normally when lights are switched on but no light from either headlights on both low and high beams. Thinking "****" I removed the Error Code Eliminators and plugged in my ballasts the same way I had them before. Still nothing. I removed the HID's completely and installed my original bulbs using only the factory headlight harness wiring and still nothing - no headlights.

Did I blow a fuse? I looked in the fuse box under the hood and found the 22 fuse that the manual says is for the headlamps. It looked fine.. Wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what would cause the headlights to stop working while the rest of the truck's exterior and interior lights work properly.

Thanks in advance,
Zach

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't help other than saying visually inspecting a fuse is not the best method. You need to test across the spades. You can get a cheap tester (usually comes in fuse assortments) to test them in the car.

Sounds like you blew a fuse or two or three.

well guys, I have similar issue, thread not answered just yet!!!!, and I do have a tester and ALL the fuses are fine, what gives?

what messes these systems up and leaves no trace? did it screw something inside the BCM, if an 05 has a BCM???

Fuse 22 powers the headlight controls not the lights themselves. There are 3 fuses for the headlights, right and left low beams each have their own and the high beams share a fuse.

Left Lowbeam: Fuse 43 [10AMP]
Right Lowbeam: Fuse 42 [10AMP]
High Beams: Fuse 46 [20AMP]

Also check Fuse 19 [20AMP] as power first goes though this fuse for the high beams before Fuse 46.

Do you have DRL + auto or just the auto?

The issue I had was tail light led

Those messed up everything

Changing just one back to OEM tungsten stopped the weird stuff

I kept the headlight led and have not noted any issues

Btw the fuses were all fine and thank you for posting the wiring detail

You have to be very studious in specs and all to filter out 90% junk factor

Again it’s knowing the engineering specs and filtering out the garbage, avoid amazon sellers

It took a few hours to narrow down to some good ones at 110w and they kick a! Incredible difference to the high cost high out put autozoom stuff

Now I need a good keyed dash feed for my 110v addition to the console

You have to be very studious in specs and all to filter out 90% junk factor

Again it’s knowing the engineering specs and filtering out the garbage, avoid amazon sellers

It took a few hours to narrow down to some good ones at 110w and they kick a! Incredible difference to the high cost high out put autozoom stuff

Now I need a good keyed dash feed for my 110v addition to the console

Until Philips or any other legit bulb manufacture (Osram, GE, etc) makes them they are all poorly engineered Chinese crap. I know, I tried some...LED headlights

Philips does make one legit LED for H11/H8. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2NHLTI/ $124 for the pair.

I personally would not get any even if Philips did make some because I hate 6000K-6500K light. Now if they make native 4300K-5000K I'd consider...

I see you live in MI, 6500K on snow?! That's awful! Better buy some yellow "night" sunglasses...

https://www.amazon.com/AMZTM-Goggles-Semi-rimless-Polarized-Sunglasses/dp/B06XR7CBN3/

Your comment, opinion shows how little you know about led manufacture

Phipips is a brand name
If you are buying a bulb with philips led, that means you are buying old technology

I’ll repeat for you

Avoid amazon that just inflates the price for junk

You must work to a spec

Your comment, opinion shows how little you know about led manufacture

Phipips is a brand name
If you are buying a bulb with philips led, that means you are buying old technology

I’ll repeat for you

Avoid amazon that just inflates the price for junk

You must work to a spec

Yes, Philips is a brand name like Osram/Sylivania and GE, these brands are not going to sell anything that does not meet DOT/SAE specifications.

This is really the wrong forum for this, check out CandlePowerForums.

Is There Hope for Proper LED Retrofits in Headlamps ?

Back