06' Mountaineer Trans Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06' Mountaineer Trans Problem

TheUkrainian

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer V8
Hi. I have an 06' Mountaineer V8, with 49K miles on it. I've noticed that a lot of people have been having problems with their 6speed transmissions, and I'm one of them. I will be taking my Mountaineer in for the 5th time, just so it will stop shifting horribly. Last time i took it in was Nov. 18th. The problem is, I can only take it to the dealer that we bought it from, which is about 45 miles away, because they will do it free of charge. I tried taking it to my local ford/merc dealer, 3 miles away, and they said that they can't do it even with the extended warranty and proof that I've had the same issue 4 previous times, because they need some sort of approval from higher authorities at ford. Has anyone else been able to get their TSB updated for free? Also, I love my mountaineer and everything about it, except the transmission, and I am starting to look at the Lemon Law policies here in michigan. Does anyone know if Ford is planning to fix these damn issues anytime soon or are they just going to let it keep going? My 00' Windstar with 107K miles on it shifts smoother than this. Any ideas?

This Is What I Know

I have an '06 Explorer V8 with 16k miles on it. I had the latest TSB performed on 12-17-07. It fixed the shifting issues for the most part, but it has created other problems now. My mileage has dropped significantly because the transmission does not shift as quick and the cruise control will not hold the speed at all , it does not want to downshift to get the speed back up. So if you do get yours in, it may or may not fix the problem. If I was given a choice, I would have kept the bumpy tranny in exchange for the mileage. Thats what I know so far.

Back