• Register Today It's free!

08 4.0 v6 exhaust question

NickSantagataa

Reaction score
City, State
Mount dora , Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer xlt 4x4
I have 08 4.0 v6 and want it louder and a deeper exhaust note , I've been looking at a whole bunch of exhaust system but am unsure of what to get , I'm thinking all I want is a flow master 40 series muffler because the muffler changes the sounds, so what's the difference between changing the muffler or getting a cat-back exhaust. Also with catback exhaust system we have our last cat 1' from the end of the exhaust pipe so how would that work because the cat-back systems I've been looking at dont have the needed 2nd cat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Second cat? I thought these things had 2 cats on the y pipe and that was it. Isn't there a resonator and then a muffler on the factory end pipe? All the cat back does is chop the resonator and put a glass pack in place of the muffler for that high pitched rice burner sound.

Second cat? I thought these things had 2 cats on the y pipe and that was it. Isn't there a resonator and then a muffler on the factory end pipe? All the cat back does is chop the resonator and put a glass pack in place of the muffler for that high pitched rice burner sound.

Not looking for a ricer sound I'd kill my self just want it more truck like. Not sure as far as the resonator then the muffler , but about a 1' before the end of the exhaust there's a cat.

the very last thing before the exhaust leaves the tailpipe is a resonator not all of the explorers had one but mine does... there are lots of videos on the tube where people just cut this off and straight pipe it there.... different vehicles yield different results

Oh awesome thanks

I have a Flowmaster 40 on my 4.0 and it sounds absolutely great upon a cold start and almost V8 like at low rpm. Its best at 2500rpm and a little bit louder than stock at 4000+. I'm extremely happy with it, but when i installed it i lost the awesome scream at high rpm and the crackle of it that it had straight piped. I would still highly recommend getting the 40 and plus i could also tell my throttle response is greatly improved (placebo maybe), and i got an average increase of .6 mpg over about 10 full tanks(calculated, not computer), even though i drive it harder to get those sweet sounds out of it. No videos can do it justice though, ive recorded many videos of it but it doesnt compare to hearing it in person.

well give us the sour taste of one of these videos.... something is better than nothing because I would choose a 40 series if I ever need a new exhaust but I don't want it messing with all my hard work over my sound system

So have been doing research on exhausts and I'm going to be going with a flow master super 44 , I just have one last question. Will the back pressure change and give me any losses in low end torque , also how is mpg going to be effected?

Also what size inlet , and where is out inlet/outlet as in , is the inlet centered , left or right, and the outlet to the left or right or centered?

The loss in backpressure theoretically will cost you a little bit of torque at lower rpms (with the trade off being slight hp gains at higher rpms), but I highly doubt anything significant or more than barely noticeable if at all - both for the tq loss and the hp gains. The catalytic converters represent the bulk of the restriction in your exhaust system, and doesn't sound like you have any plans to remove them.

I would go for it.

well give us the sour taste of one of these videos.... something is better than nothing because I would choose a 40 series if I ever need a new exhaust but I don't want it messing with all my hard work over my sound system

Sorry for the super late response, I've been on trips going in and out of town and driving a different truck while I've been in town.(The 2015+ Lariat F150s are so sweet btw) But here are some exhaust clips from my "Mad Max Explorer" as my father calls it :D . The first is interior with the windows down, second is underneath the truck, and lastly is interior with the windows up all maxing out at around 3k RPM. It doesn't sound anywhere as well as it does in person, but it does help a lot if you listen with headphones. Even cheap apple headphones make a world of difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2qzEIWFo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3QosAHkXNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfVgnX1hTYk

Back