1-2 has a slip and 2 to 3 shift has a flare | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1-2 has a slip and 2 to 3 shift has a flare

svoorh91

Reaction score
City, State
kenilworth, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer sport
hi i am hoping for some opinions here.
i have a 98 ford explorer sport 4.0 sohc 5r55e trans mission 213k miles on the truck.

i had the trans rebuilt back in march. after the rebuild i have a slip from 1-2 and a flare from 2-3. Today the trans is starting to have a delay going into drive. i put it in drive and give it gas itll slowly move but then it will bump a lil and then sart to move at its norml rate. now i did the tsb for the new seperator plate and the new valve as well.

the possibilities i can think of is a epc solenoid or valve body issue. if anyone has an idea or any suggestions i would really appreciate it.

thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you get a year warrenty from the shop that rebuilt it in March?

I know there was a pretty good issue with the valve body gasket blowing out. Is that the TSB you did? I know on the one in my Ranger, it was GONE when I did a shift kit installation.

i dont have a warranty on the labor i just have a warranty on the parts installed. i had a tec in the shop rebuild it on the side. but i keep asking him to lok at it and sems like he doesnt even want to try to fix it again.

[MENTION=52912]Blacksheep Josh[/MENTION] yes that was the tsb that was performed on the vehicle, im at the point right now to either replace the valve body or just buy a used trans from a junkyard and give it a shot.

You have had a slip and flair issue since March? And now a delay on engagement?

[MENTION=272036]transman304[/MENTION] yes

Your next step most likely depends on:

1) your willingness to work on the vehicle;
2) how much money you are willing to spend;
3) your risk aversion (i.e. gambling mentality)

If it were me, I would give a remanufactured valve body from "Central Valve Bodies" a shot first (~$260). They bore and sleeve several parts of the VB for reliability. This is the path of least resistance - i.e. trans can stay in vehicle which is monumentally less work. I bet it will fix the shifting issues, but maybe not the delayed engagement.

I would personally stay away from a junk yard trans, especially if yours has recently been rebuilt - there shouldn't be that much wrong with it internally if at all. IMO, most of the PITA work is removal/install, rebuilding on the bench is pretty easy going, just gotta stay organized.

Your other option, if you have more time than money, is to pull the trans straight away, and teardown/inspect for a smoking gun internally. If all appears well, then it likely was the VB after all.

Back