13 Ford Explorer skip/stutters between 20 and 55 MPH | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

13 Ford Explorer skip/stutters between 20 and 55 MPH

NakB

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Ford Explorer XLT
My 13 Ford Explorer XLT 220K miles between 20 and 55 mph skips/stutters. Before 20 and above 55, no problems at all. I've changed spark plugs, ignition coils, catalytic converter (Bank 2) W/ both O2 sensors associated with and drained and replaced transmission fluid. The only code was the catalytic converter that existed before the issue started, but has since been changed. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is it possible that it could be the throttle body? Just throwing that out there as a guess.

Peter

My 13 Ford Explorer XLT 220K miles between 20 and 55 mph skips/stutters. Before 20 and above 55, no problems at all. I've changed spark plugs, ignition coils, catalytic converter (Bank 2) W/ both O2 sensors associated with and drained and replaced transmission fluid. The only code was the catalytic converter that existed before the issue started, but has since been changed. Any ideas what the problem could be?
I started having the same on a 13 Limited with 175k. Only does it on hills. I did get the P0420 code. The dealer replaced the other cat. converter last year, but I’m debating on doing this one myself. What brand of converter did you get?

How much trans fluid did you replace, this sounds a lot like torque converter slip which is a common problem. Typically it's identifiable as it's ONLY when "cruising" through that range, if you drive hard through that range it typically won't happen as the converter is locked up fully. Often it can be solved by completely replacing the fluid, which requires about 3 drain and flush sessions at about 5.5 quarts a pop (there's like 13.5 or 14.5 quarts so replacing 5.5 3x gets most all of the old fluid out. We didn't get relief from this issue until a day or two after the third drain and fill on ours, I just drained and filled it once a day, drove to and from work, and repeated each evening so the new fluid circulates in the system. You might also try shudder fixx adative if the torque converter is the issue, if you have a scanner with live data you can watch the converter PIDs and you'll see a significant variance in the PIDs related to TC lockup requested vs actual.

Back