'16 Platinum - Front brake springs that push pad off rotor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'16 Platinum - Front brake springs that push pad off rotor

robbieas

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Ford Explorer Platinum
I ordered Wagner OEX1611B pads for the front. When I went to replace them, I noticed they don't have the same spring clip that the factory pads do that push the pad off the rotor. Attached is a picture of what the spring clip I'm talking about looks like - this is what the Duralast Gold pads from Autozone look like on their website - that's what the pads on the car have.

What's going on here? Wagner says they are for this model. Are they just not really needed or is WAgner missing something here? Should I return these pads and find ones that do have the spring clip?

Appreciate any info you can share.

F Brakes.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking at same front pads and the OP is right, the OEX series doesn't have those side clips. Does those really matter? I've never seen clips like those on the pads I've put in over the years.

I believe those clips are there is make noise when the pad wears to the point they touch the rotor.

That clip doesn't push the pad off the rotor. Its a guide for setting the pad in place. Its really unnecessary. SST pads do not use them

Just put these front pads in and had the rotors turned at 66k, there's plenty of meat left of them for at least 1 turn. Bled the front brakes, and got them bedded in nice and hot, so far these pads are fantastic. No squeak, squeal, rattle, fade, pulsating and noticeably quicker stopping times.
Tip...only 1 of my rotors had that retaining screw, I guess the other had already been off for some reason. Use an impact on that little sucker (and leave it out), or else you will be constantly fighting it as the hub turns when using a regular ratchet...I learned the hard way when dealing with Honda rotors that use 2, with a phillips screw no less. Strips so easily.
That one rotor was also pretty rusted onto the hub, so I used a propane torch on it and a few smaller hammers and rubber mallet. Didn't budge. So what I had to do was set up a 2x4 upright next to the rotor, covering the machined part of course, and gave it a whack with an 8-lb sledge, that busted it loose. Put some anti-seize on the rusted areas of the hub.

Back