1992 Explorer a4ld swap not overdrive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer a4ld swap not overdrive

pathwayus

Reaction score
City, State
wnc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Blue Explorer
So this weekend I went and pulled a a4ld wanted a m50d but wasn't able to fine one. The old a4ld was slapping and some times not shifting back down or back into first. Used my old torque converter with the replacement A4ld. Got the swap done around 7 tonight. Use it to take my buddy back home which is about 40 miles some back roads mixed with highway. It shift up to 3rd but will not shift into 4. No leaks that i could see and the fluid is where it should be. Any input on this would be welcome on what might be causing this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3 to 4 shift is done by the computer and a solenoid valve in the trans. Check your connections and make sure they are good. You might have to pull the pan to make sure the wires are still plugged in. Torque converter lockup is also done the same way.

Thanks for your help i was fixing to work on the od bands but the truck was still warm after being used today turn out it was nothing more then the 5 pin wire on the drive side wasn't pushed down all the way.

Coo,l glad you up and running.

Was very happy today when it shifted into 4th. I bough it last year was left on the side of the road with a long list of broken stuff.

Back