1994 Explorer R134a charge capacity | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer R134a charge capacity

buford1972

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Hello, Does anyone have an ACTUAL picture of the Refrigerant Charge Info sticker for a 1994 Explorer that came from the factory with R134a?. My Chilton and the Online resources that I have found all state different capacity information. TIA

Fellow '94 owner here, I still have my sticker:
qoxKg3m.jpg

Two of those plain 12oz cans will do it.

Fellow '94 owner here, I still have my sticker:
View attachment 330391

Two of those plain 12oz cans will do it.
JSWarell, thank you very much for this information. My Explorer is a 1991. 24oz is what my Chilton indicated for the 1994 ( the only first gen body style year that came with R134a ). The 4seasons and other auto AC website charts stated between 28oz-36oz or more. In my research I found that most guides for R12 to R134a retrofits suggest between 80%-90% of the original R-12 capacity. I installed 85% of the R-12 capacity that my label stated ( 1.75 lbs or 28oz ) which was 23.8oz and close enough to your 24oz number. I'm going to print this sticker on a label and place it on my heater box. Thanks again!

Ah okay, that makes sense. I always forget how vague those conversions can be because I've never had to do one yet.
That percentage would explain why it's the "max" weight on mine and not the exact amount required. From what I can tell, the factory systems in '94 are just R-12 with an R-134a retrofit already installed. I could be wrong, but the only huge differences I know of (apart from the refrigerant and oil) are the pressure switches and the fittings.

Back