• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer

carzrkool_ford

Reaction score
City, State
Bartlesville, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
I just joined "SERIOUS EXPLORATIONS". I have a 1994 Ford Explorer. I am slowly building it up. Right now I have just a 2" Skyjacker suspension lift and stock 235/75/R15 tires. I plan on putting 31"s on it before to long. I have 2 Memphis 15" subs. Pushing those is a 500 watt memphis class D amp. I have autozone brand fog lights and strobe lights on it. It has seen better days. Right now the first gear is out of my transmission so I have to shift down to second to take off from a light. I took it in to get an estimate to get it rebuilt and that was going to cost me 1800 dollars, but the guy told me that it would last another 100000 miles like it was I would just have to shift it like a standard transmission and not have a first gear(WHICH SUCKS!!!) Right now it has the standard 4.0 L. 6 cyl. that ford puts in it. But I want to before to long put a 302 in it, and a T-5 transmission. But I am thinking that it will be alot of conversions and money, especially from the automatic to standard.

If anybody has any questions comments or suggestions just let me know.

Welcome to the forum.

Glad to see you have many ideas. I did when i joined and the only stock part on my explorer is the body. Stock motor but its been changed also ha ha

Glad to See You Here.

I have big plans for my explorer! I am only 17, and I plan on doing most of this all in my garage with help of my dad and a few good buddies. I want to put a bigger motor in it for more horsepower and more torque and higher rpms. But i also want it to be safe on the motor. I want to convert it over to standard transmission instead of rebuilding the automatic that is in it. I also plan on buying a mustang next year some time. Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to this forum! I would suggest that you check the sticky threads in the transmission section before scrapping the transmission. Your transmission problem could be related to the valve body, gaskets, governor, modulator, kick down cable, clogged filter, etc. More information would be helpful to diagnose the problem. You could start a thread in that section. Shops always suggest rebuilding everything.

Back