1995 Explorer ABS Module and Testing Interface | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer ABS Module and Testing Interface

cf3232

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Limited
I cannot find the connector to pull ABS codes for my braking system for my vehicle. Does anyone know where the module is located on the vehicle. I need to jumper the connections to get the error codes. I have searched and could not find any info of where it is located on this year and make vehicle.

Under the hood, next to the power distribution power supply box, is the OBDI connector. You can pull the codes here with a code reader, or do the paper clip method.

The port connector under the dash might be able to be used to pull the ABS codes, I'm not completely sure, but that port has very limited use, if any at all. Your ECM is a 60 pin OBDI, and can only do so much.

Why do you need to pull the ABS codes? Is the dash light on?

90% of the time when that light comes on, it is one of the 3 ABS sensors. The rear sensor located on top of the rear axle differential gets dirty, and can be wiped clean with a rag, and that usually takes care of it. The fronts fail mostly when a wire/connector breaks. For these, the best fix is a new Hub bearing unit installed.

Oh...Welcome to the Forum!

Under the hood, next to the power distribution power supply box, is the OBDI connector. You can pull the codes here with a code reader, or do the paper clip method.

The port connector under the dash might be able to be used to pull the ABS codes, I'm not completely sure, but that port has very limited use, if any at all. Your ECM is a 60 pin OBDI, and can only do so much.

Why do you need to pull the ABS codes? Is the dash light on?

90% of the time when that light comes on, it is one of the 3 ABS sensors. The rear sensor located on top of the rear axle differential gets dirty, and can be wiped clean with a rag, and that usually takes care of it. The fronts fail mostly when a wire/connector breaks. For these, the best fix is a new Hub bearing unit installed.

Oh...Welcome to the Forum!

Okay so I have used the connector that is labeled ECC Test to get codes when my transmission O/D light was flashing, but I did not realize it was the same one to get ABS codes. Everything I read made me think it was a different connector somewhere. I have jumpered it before to do that. So it is the same scenario with the same module. I thought there was a connector different for the ABS module and codes.

Also, yes the ABS light is on in the vehicle and I am trying to pull the code so I can fix the issue. I have already replaced the sensor in the rear diff hoping that would fix the code without more troubleshooting, but i should know this by now find the problem then fix the problem. I should not have thrown parts and money at the problem without evidence to what the problem was.

I am going t pull the codes this time and then actually fix the problem.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Been on the forum for a while this was my first post. I tend t lurk on here for answers to my problems.

Thanks again,

Back