1996 -> 5R55E swap: MPG gains? Plug and play? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 -> 5R55E swap: MPG gains? Plug and play?

Dude13450

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser
I'm looking at picking up a 1996 Explorer later this week. 4.0 OHV, 4R55E (didn't switch to 5R until 97), 4x4. Owner wants $500. Runs, just won't move, owner thinks it is the torque converter.

I know the 4R55E are known for going out on the earlier Explorers, especially ones that have done a decent amount of towing? (Not sure if the one I am looking at has towed a lot BTW). With a little research, my understanding is that the 5R55E uses the same bellhousing, transmission case, tail shaft, transfer case, and driveshaft as the 4R and that the only difference are the stronger internals (higher torque rating) and that it is a "5 speed" because 1st gear becomes overdriven under hard acceleration?

That being said, if I swap to the 5R55E tranny, are there going to be any fuel economy gains/losses? I am thinking about just switching to the 5R while I'm down there because the transmission has to come off anyways and from my understanding, the transmission is pretty much plug and play?

Assuming I do pick this Explorer up (I know what they say about the word assume...), the transfer case is electronically controlled. The owner says that prior to the "torque converter" issue, the 4x4 did work. My question is if swapping to a manual t-case (uses the lever instead of a motor/buttons) going to yield any other benefits aside from less stuff to go wrong?

i did a 4r55e swap to a 5r55e for a friend and he said he got a bit better fuel economy with it. the real difference between the two is the 5r has 5 gears and the 4r has 4. and the 5r i guess has a bearings in place of sleeves in a few spots other than one. other than that its literaly plug and play. i had to switch the box for it to tell the comp what gear selector it was in. to give you a heads up. i dont know if you need to do this after 94 explorers, but you might have to take the exhaust y pipe off to get the transmission out. i had to do it on a 96 ranger to get it out and put it in, especially for the 4x4 transmission tail housing being bigger than 2x4 tail housing

i dont know too much about the transfer cases so i cant help you there. maybe possible a bit stronger? i have no clue.

Back