1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0L E-4WD with multiple electrical issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0L E-4WD with multiple electrical issues.

jaybohmer

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Aerostar XLT
1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0L E-4WD Motor swap

I'm having fun with this one! I did a motor swap about a year & a half back. the 97 motor had been abused & gave up the ghost. I put my freshly rebuilt 93 4.0 in. It ran well for about a year, but has started stuttering, and the mileage has gone to hell. A local mechanic did some research, and tells me that the timing set is different between the two years. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have to tackle each problem separately. The 1993 engine is designed to work on an EEC-IV system while the 1997 is designed to work on an EEC-V system. Did you swap the injector harness as well as other electrical parts from the 1997 to the 1993?

Check the wiring from the speakers to the radio's bulkhead connector for continuity. It sounds like some of these wiries might be damaged. Check WWW.The12Volt.Com for a schematic diagram.

We need more details about the other electrical issues (turn signal, wiper, power window motor, power door locks, etc).

My bad. I guess I didn't explain clearly enough. Engine Swap: All sensors & control module from the 97 were kept. Check Engine" light remains on. Code comes up Cam Sensor. Can anyone verify a difference in Timing set tooth count between 93 & 97 4.0 engines?

Can anyone verify a difference in Timing set tooth count between 93 & 97 4.0 engines?

Have you looked at the Cam Sensor? I had one come apart on me on one of 3.0 Aerostars. Even though the Service Engine light came on during a trip from St Louis to Vancouver, the engine ran fine until I got home and replaced it as I remember.

how does a motor run fine for a year with a "different" timing gear set....and then all of a sudden doesn't run fine because of a "different" timing gear set.....i think you need a different mechanic........like previously stated, you've got other problems that need to be addressed seperately and more info might be needed

It works like this. The difference is in the tooth count of the sprockets. Where the difference is only one or two teeth, the cam will gradually get out of sync with the crank shaft. never enough to cause engine damage, but enough to cause the engine computer fits, and put it into "limp mode". Which is what is happening in my case. I'm just looking for verification of the difference in timing sets between 93 & 97 motors. So again, I ask, where can I find verification of the timing sets?

i understand that......it is a mechanical connection with the camshaft through a chain.......so...that existed upon startup..over a year ago..and it ran fine....now it's not....but the gear set is the same as a year ago....teeth gears, chains and cams maintain their positions until stretch and wear after 100,000 miles plus.....like previously stated.....your mixing computers designed for one engine with another.......maybe gear sets from a 97 will fit on the 93, but then.maybe even a different cam is used......you'd need a 93 harness and computer....however, if your're gonna continue this road you're on....then do what the computer check engine light says and replace the cam sensor.....

Cam Sensor tests fine. It's working. It says it can't 'see' the magnetic tab. There may be a difference in the cams. That's part of what I'm here to discover/learn.

Well.....try this.......go to some internet auto parts place,.....look up timing gear sets for the 93 and the 97.......or go to your local Napa,autozone, etc........get them to look up parts......see if they are the same......that might (I say might) tell you what you need to know.......

Back