1997 Explorer. It suddenly died, but will start if I pour gasoline into the intake. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer. It suddenly died, but will start if I pour gasoline into the intake.

gr34

Reaction score
Hi all, i have 97 explorer and it died goin down the road, i poured gas down the intake and it started, and i noticed relay #6 is clicking real fast when i turn the key on, fuel pump shows 39 pounds pressure so i hooked my scanner to it and it tells me no communication, it will only start if u pour gas in intake anybody had this prob, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your grounds and wiring to the fuel pump, might be getting knocked around when driving.

hmmm...

You only need 3 things to start, fuel, air and spark...if it will run when you add gas then you've eliminated the other 2.

When you first turn the key to acc. position (do not try and start) do you hear the fuel pump start humming? (make sure doors are closed and the radio and fan are off)... It will be the only noise coming from the back of the vehicle only last a few seconds then goes off.

If not then swap out the fuel pump relay with like the wiper or horn relay..i forget which one is the same type. (relays are cheap, start there before worrying about the bigger stuff) If the swap get you running then just replace the relay. My guess is you have this problem fixed before even reading this post.

Thanks for replys, but no it it isnt fixed the fuel pump stays on constantly with the relay clicking like that i bought a manual for the wiring diagram, but dont show grounds on it also i can touch the b+ (86) of the fuel pump relay terminal with my test light and the relay quits clicking and fuel pressure jumps up a few pounds i have traced and cleaned all the grounds and no luck, i read in the manual were the cam sensor tells the pcm to make ejector squirt on its turn so i checked the wires comin out of the pcm for the sensor and no signal from pcm my manual does not tell me how to test it, do ya know how. also i dont see that makin my relay do what is is doin but i will keep lookin. i thank ya for your time and help.

IF your scanner can't "talk" to your vehicle, you likely have more of a problem than "no gas"... check your fuses, then some of your cables going to the pcm.

wiring diagram shows three dlc wires on the pcm, all three checked out good, the diag dosent show the rest of the connecter wires, im thinkin its the pcm or cam sensor that is the prob, more the pcm also found the cam sensor wires the only one that has power is the hot wire, thanks for the help

you can "readily circumvent" the fuel issue "temporarily" by running a direct battery feed "just past" the inertia switch for your fuel pump. IF everything is fine for a "period" then you are only dealing with a powering issue on that given circuit... probably a loose / partially broken wire(s) in and around the relay... BUT you can also monitor / check that with a meter to confirm your "chattering relay" and reasons for that "chatter".

Back