1998 4.0 Coolant Question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4.0 Coolant Question.

Jungleboy084

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello. If I have drained the cooling system numerous times refilling it with distilled water to flush it (about two gallons of distilled water each time) and completely draining radiator and overflow tank, it’s safe to assume I have complete water inside. With all this said, if I were to drain it again to put coolant inside, how much coolant/mixture would I use to get closest to 50/50 mixture? I’m aware that fluid would still be left in the block. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With all this said, if I were to drain it again to put coolant inside, how much coolant/mixture would I use to get closest to 50/50 mixture?

Why not target a slight excess of coolant for winter protection and simply add 1.25 gals. straight coolant/0.75 gals. distilled? Whatever the result, you should be >>50% coolant with some added protection.

Prestone AF-1420 coolant tester is inexpensive, easy to use, and available at most AP stores.

Prestone | Products

From the Ford Workshop Manual:
NOTE: About 80% of the coolant capacity can be recovered with the engine in the vehicle.
Dirty, rusty or contaminated coolant requires replacement.
Cooling System Capacity
4.0L OHV 11.4 liters (12.0 quarts)
4.0L SOHC 13.2 liters (14.0 quarts)
5.0L 14.9 liters (15.7 quarts)

I'd recommend 100% antifreeze along with the distilled water that's remaining in the block should work out to about a 50/50 mix. Better to end up
4.0L OHV and SOHC both list a 7.8 quart cooling system capacity. IIRC, approximately 2 quarts of water remains in the block after flushing. To get close to a 50% mixture, add 1.5 gallons of undiluted coolant and top off with distilled water. Prestone's AF-1420 coolant tester is inexpensive and available at most AP stores.

Prestone | Products

^ditto.

I'd recommend 100% antifreeze along with the distilled water that's remaining in the block should work out to about a 50/50 mix. Better to end up

^ditto.

This is what I do as well

Think about it...if the engine capacity is 7.8 qrts and approx. 2 qrts remain, to get close to a 50/50 mix, pour 4 qrts (1 gal) of undiluted and remainder water (approx. 1.8 qrts). You end up with 4 qrts undiluted and 3.8 qrts water. You'll be at a slightly stronger concentration than 50/50.

This is what I do as well

I do recommend you test it after running it up to operating temp once just for the peace of mind of knowing what temp your protected to. I have a Prestone tester I've had for many years.

!B1V,OfgBWk~$(KGrHqZ,!hQEw5JDJhVtBMeEeIQrFw~~_1.jpg

I do recommend you test it after running it up to operating temp once just for the peace of mind of knowing what temp your protected to. I have a Prestone tester I've had for many years.

!B1V,OfgBWk~$(KGrHqZ,!hQEw5JDJhVtBMeEeIQrFw~~_1.jpg

Wow, small world. That's the exact tester I've had for years. Which raises a question I've always had about that tester. After i use it, I clean it out with distilled water, by basically sucking clean distlled in, and expelling, repeating the process several times. Should I be cleaning it with dawn and plain ol water, or am I doing it ok? I don't want to ever get soap residue in my coolant system.

I've always just rinsed it out with plain water. I see no benefit to rinsing it with distilled water. That would have no effect on the testing and a drop of plain water isn't going to contaminate your cooling system. Testing is a specific gravity thing.

Anyone know why 1999 and newer 4.0L Explorer's are almost twice the capacity at 14 quarts?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...am wondering if that isn't a typo. It wouldn't appear to be due to a larger capacity radiator as Rockauto shows the same one for all years. And, I seriously doubt the '99 & up blocks/heater cores would hold an additional 6 qrts.

Maybe the 99 and up have bigger radiators...
Mine shows the same capacity as your 98...I'm wondering wouldn't the automatics hold more coolant do to a bigger radiator...

Back