1998 Eddie Bauer Rim Size Question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Eddie Bauer Rim Size Question?

Myasylum

Reaction score
City, State
Cedarburg, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello,

I have a 1998 Eddie Bauer Edition with 16" Wheels.

I have read once that 15" Wheels will not work because the rim will rub on the caliper with the Eddie Bauer Edition only.

Is this true?

The old tires on there now has 265/70/16's on all 4. I bought it this way .

These rims are old and the tires leak and are cracked.

I would like to upgrade to something different, but I don't want to throw money away shipping wrong size rims back and forth.

I would like to stick with stock height, 31x10.5x15 Cooper Discoverer A/T3 , with 15" Cragar Soft 8 rims with 3.75 Back spacing.

Seem like a correct set up?

Anyone have pictures with this model??

Thanks much all!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know why you would want to downgrade to a 15" wheel (plus it will throw your speedo off) and they look puny to my eye. My 2001 EB w/16" wheels uses the same calipers as my 2000 Mountaineer w/15" wheels, so I don't believe there would be a problem with going to a 15" wheel, but I'd stay with a 16. I'm sure Cragar offers the wheels in a 16" size. I can't speak to the back spacing.

Well... I don't see it as a down grade... And the speedo wont be off with the correct size tire.
I just prefer the beefier tire look of the 15".

15's are also cheaper with more tire options.

Anyone else hear anything about the rim rubbing on the caliper?
Maybe that is just on the 1st gens?

Thanks!

If you keep the tire diameter correct the speedo will not display wrong.

What is important is that you keep the ET and wheel size correct.

These tyre types are for 5.0 AWD. Also internet is full of calculators which will help you to choose correct type of rim/tyre.

Rim width (in) x rim diameter (in)
J is mounting flange type.
ET35 is positive offset of 35mm.
It is vital not to deviate to far from the offset of the wheel originally fitted to the vehicle.

PCD is measured in mm. E.g. 4x100 means the wheel has 4 bolt holes and the diameter of the imaginary circle through the bolt holes is 100mm.

235/75R15 180.0kph (111.84mph)
108S 7Jx15 ET12 5x114.3

255/70R16 190.0kph (118.06mph)
108T 7Jx16 ET12 5x114.3

255/65R17 190.0kph (118.06mph)
106T 7.5Jx17 ET5 5x114.3

255/60R18 190.0kph (118.06mph)
105T 7.5Jx18 ET5 5x114.3

265/60R18 210.0kph (130.48mph)
106H 8Jx18 ET0 5x114.3

Grabbed these from: http://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford/explorer/1997/

Hello,

I have read once that 15" Wheels will not work because the rim will rub on the caliper with the Eddie Bauer Edition only.

Is this true?

I would like to upgrade to something different, but I don't want to throw money away shipping wrong size rims back and forth.

I would like to stick with stock height, 31x10.5x15 Cooper Discoverer A/T3 , with 15" Cragar Soft 8 rims with 3.75 Back spacing.

Thanks much all!!

I'm really curious if the 265's rub or bottom out on fender wall or anything else. That tire is considerably bigger than a 255 / 70 / 16 .

Hello,

Is this true?

Thanks much all!!

it depends on your front brakes.
11.25" front rotor systems will fit 15" wheels
12" front brakes do not fit inside FACTORY 15" wheels....however*
12" front brakes do fit inside some aftermarket 15" wheels that have low backspace, because the barrel increases in size as it gets to the rear edge of the wheel.
I have a set of the Cragar soft 8 in 15x8 with 4" backspace, they fit the 12" brakes so 3.75 should fit too.

* there is at least 1 model of factory 15" aluminum wheels that fit 12" front brakes, those wheels were on '10 Rangers. 5 D holes, with split spokes.

Thank You pjtoledo!
That's the exact answer I was looking for!!

This truck is kind of a beater though... The rims and tires will cost more than the car :)

We'll see...

Thanks!!

Oh... I have 16" 265's on there now... more than enough room to go quite a bit larger actually... especially with extra backspacing.

Thank You pjtoledo!
That's the exact answer I was looking for!!

This truck is kind of a beater though... The rims and tires will cost more than the car :)

We'll see...

Thanks!!

Oh... I have 16" 265's on there now... more than enough room to go quite a bit larger actually... especially with extra backspacing.
... So, 265 70 16's are no problem on a stock EB Explorer, no rub?

That's what I'm running now with no issues, and the person before me drove it from Wisconsin to Arizona with those same tires.

Problem is, tire places pretty much force you to get what came stock on the vehicle. So best bet is to buy the tires online and have someone mount them.

Costco really got under my skin one year with a Jeep I had.They refused to sell me 2 new tires I had to buy 4.

I get it to a point... all 4 tires have to be the same size on a 4wd vehicle... but geez!

15×8 seems to have a -13 offset.
Is that correct,
15x7 is a 0 offset?

Well... I don't see it as a down grade... And the speedo wont be off with the correct size tire.
I just prefer the beefier tire look of the 15".

15's are also cheaper with more tire options.

Anyone else hear anything about the rim rubbing on the caliper?
Maybe that is just on the 1st gens?

Thanks!
I have a 1997 Eddie Bauer came stock with 16 inch rims problem I'm having is the tire size is right the rim is not. the rims I have now are 16 inch but the offset is wrong it is rubbing on the top ball joint when I make any kind of turn.I need the exact size of the rim for this 1997 Eddie Bauer with 16 in stock

Back