1998 Ford Explorer will not start when hot. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer will not start when hot.

thufir60

Reaction score
City, State
Imperial Beach, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 L SOHC. It starts fine when the engine is cold or has cooled down but would not start when hot. There were no codes that were in the system hence the reason for the check engine light to stay dark. For instance I would drive to the mall go inside for a few minutes and come out and try to start my Explorer and it would not start till it cooled down. The engine would turn over, I had plenty of fuel pressure but no spark. I read a bunch of posts in forums like this and found other people had the same problem but with no solution. I tried replacing the fuel filter, then the air filter, then spark plugs, then resetting the PCM, then the ignition coil, then the camshaft position sensor, then the fuel pump relay then cleaning the mass air flow sensor and only until I repaced the crankshaft position sensor did it fix the problem. I hope this post helps someone in the future.

Your thread has been moved to the Stock section for your year model that you posted.

Just moving it from the TOTM Nominations section

Back