• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ranger

98_Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Ranger xlt 3.0L
I have a 1998 Ranger extended cab 3.0L. Its completly stock with 150HP, which isnt very fast. How can I add more HP? I know I can get a K&N air filter, possibly a supercharger(if i get the money), a GF performance chip.....but what else can i do to get more power for cheap? And i was also thinking about adding dual exhaust and straight pipes. And what rims look good on rangers?

P.s: I had to repost this because i posted it in the wrong section

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can get a plug in tuner that dial's in the performance for your truck that is the best way to go. I have friends that use them on thier Rams and F series trucks and they love the performance they have after setting up the tuner.
A good after market muffler is also a way to go...not an open exhaust muffler bypassed option...too noisey and not really great on the back pressure for you motor.
Many years ago (and I still have this setup) I added an Airaid throttle spacer and an AEM filter (Dryflow) and a polished intake setup and I use series 40 Flowmaster. The performance is very noticable and it sounds great and it is not annoying like some exhaust I have heard and hate. I am not saying it will give you 50 hp gains with the AEM and Flowmasterand throttle spacer, but I can feel the difference when I drive it. It seems to get a bit more rpm's and a bit more torque when I take off hauling somthing or going uphill hauling something. I have a lifted 2wd Ranger that runs 33x12.5 KO tires and I get 24 mpg on the highway and that is the truth.

If you can get a plug in tuner that dial's in the performance for your truck that is the best way to go. I have friends that use them on thier Rams and F series trucks and they love the performance they have after setting up the tuner.
A good after market muffler is also a way to go...not an open exhaust muffler bypassed option...too noisey and not really great on the back pressure for you motor.
Many years ago (and I still have this setup) I added an Airaid throttle spacer and an AEM filter (Dryflow) and a polished intake setup and I use series 40 Flowmaster. The performance is very noticable and it sounds great and it is not annoying like some exhaust I have heard and hate. I am not saying it will give you 50 hp gains with the AEM and Flowmasterand throttle spacer, but I can feel the difference when I drive it. It seems to get a bit more rpm's and a bit more torque when I take off hauling somthing or going uphill hauling something. I have a lifted 2wd Ranger that runs 33x12.5 KO tires and I get 24 mpg on the highway and that is the truth.

what motor does ur ranger have? im trying to get some money for some 33x8 or 33x12 tires, and thanks for the advice! Oh, and im about to make a post with my ranger off-road.

what motor does ur ranger have? im trying to get some money for some 33x8 or 33x12 tires, and thanks for the advice! Oh, and im about to make a post with my ranger off-road.

I have a 4.0. I am running a 4:10 rear gear. Here are two pics of the truck:

ranger-basketcase-added.gif

ranger-basketcase-front.gif

Awesome looking truck! What kind of rack is that on top of the roof?

Awesome looking truck! What kind of rack is that on top of the roof?

Thank you. I am running a Yakima roof rack amd a Yakima Basketcase roof carrier. it will support up to 150 lbs. It is a great setup and easy to install.

I have a 4.0. I am running a 4:10 rear gear. Here are two pics of the truck:

ranger-basketcase-added.gif

ranger-basketcase-front.gif

Truck looks really good bro! i wanted to do that to my 3.0l 2wd, but i think im getting a 4wd soon and do a 5.0 swap, what size lift and tires do you have? and is the engine stock?

4.jpg

hey cat, do you have lockers in that 2WD ranger? ive seen this guy on youtube with your exact setup but with lockers gettin it off road. that thing was doin it bigger than most 4WD rigs ive seen.

Truck looks really good bro! i wanted to do that to my 3.0l 2wd, but i think im getting a 4wd soon and do a 5.0 swap, what size lift and tires do you have? and is the engine stock?

4.jpg

Thanks, Bro. I have a 3 inch spindle lift and a 2 inch taller coil sping lift. I did the lift back in 2001 and the next year I add a 3 inch bl. I am running 33x12.5 BFG KO tires and I love them. This is my second set of tires since I lifted it.

hey cat, do you have lockers in that 2WD ranger? ive seen this guy on youtube with your exact setup but with lockers gettin it off road. that thing was doin it bigger than most 4WD rigs ive seen.

Hey, Bro. No. I am running a Randy's 4:10 gear set up and Yucon axles. It is great for trail riding. I go everywhere. I won't do mud!!! lol I hate cleaning up the mess and I don't need to get stuck!!!

Back